Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping ex-husband's last name?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:12 PM
  • 31 Replies

So i was just reading another post , and got to thinking...

Here is the scenerio...i married in 2001, i had a baby in 2002...and was seperated by 2003.

My married name, became my DD's name...when i seperated i decided to keep my married name, and this is the name i go by...and have for the past 8 yrs. (Just to justify, i do not view my married name as my 'husbands' name, but as my DD's name)

I am NOT divorced (another post entriely lol)....

So do you think it isnt weird for me to still be using my married name, because im not divorced?

What if i was divorced....

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM

No, it's not weird. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Nope not at all. I got married had 2 children then divorced and kept my married name (still have it). The met someone else had 5 more children and they have my Ex-DH's last name. I could have given them my maiden name but the temptation to mess with him was too strong, lol He hates it even to this day

randi1978
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Not weird.  I'm divorced and still have my married name.  Ex hubs tried to get it in the divorce papers that I had to change it back to my maiden name, but judges rarely enforce such a demand if there are children within the failing marriage.

ff-princess
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I don't think it's weird either way. when I got divorced, I kept his last name because it was so much easier than my maiden name. when I had my son, I gave him my new last name as well. 

when I got remarried, we gave the boy the option of having his name changed as well so he didn't stand alone.  he thought about it, and we were planning on doing it for quite some time. he came to me last year and said he didn't want to hurt my feelings, but he'd prefer his name to stay the same.  I told him it was his decision, and it  didn't bother me at all.

now, growing up we had 5 kids in the house with 4 different last names.  I'd try to avoid that at all costs.

Lanie_momofone
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Quoting Sassy762:

Nope not at all. I got married had 2 children then divorced and kept my married name (still have it). The met someone else had 5 more children and they have my Ex-DH's last name. I could have given them my maiden name but the temptation to mess with him was too strong, lol He hates it even to this day

Now see..that boggles my mind a bit lol, yes i know your ex's name is your name...but why not give those 5 children's their father's last name?

sahmomof2
I don't think it's weird. I'm going through a divorce and I'll be keeping my married name. I want to have the same last name as my kids. Although I do like my maiden name more! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
Nope I don't see a problem with it. I would keep my married last name if u was to ever get divorced
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paigesmommy78
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:19 PM

no not at all my mom keep her married name b/c me and my sister

DeTora_Family
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I wouldn't think of giving up a last name that I shared with my children.  So, I don't think it's weird at all for you to keep it.  My ex's last name belongs to our son.  I am raising him alone now, and there is no way I want us having two different last names.

Bonnie
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Not weird at all. I don't even think it's weird to keep a married name once you ARE divorced. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)