Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Chores for 6 year olds

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm making some changes in my house, one of them being a chore/behavior chart for my 6 year old twins. So far, I have, as follows:

DS:
Clean room, neatly put away shoes, jacket, backpack; clean face, brush teeth, take out trash, neatly fold bed clothes, listen 1st time, listen and behave in public.

DD:
Clean room, neatly put away shoes, jacket, backpack; brush hair, brush teeth, help with dishes, neatly fold bed clothes, listen and do the first time, listen in public.

Does this sound good? I plan to have them on a point system and, eventually, they will get an allowance. They've been not behaving very well, so I'm hoping that this will get them straightened out and back on the right track.

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
_the.mrs_
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM

BUMP!

Damali0812
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Sounds good. My 6 yr old cleans her room, puts away her laundry, and cleans out the litter box every other day and is responsible for keeping her bathroom clean. (my kids have their own bathroom they share) 

My 9 y/o use to help me unload the dishwasher when she was 6 yrs old. But since my 9 y/o now cleans the kitchen for spending money then my 6 y/o doesn't have to worry about it. Plus my 6 y/o has her own seperate chores.

I pay each of my kids a certain amount of money for chores they do outside of their bedroom. They don't get paid for keeping their room clean or putting away their laundry.

_the.mrs_
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

We don't have a dishwasher or a pet and we all share both bathrooms (1.5), but I figure, my DD can bring a chair over and help me with rinsing.

I'm working on the point system right now.

Mikey
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

sounds good to me!

Cara5
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Yup!  Sounds like great chores for 6 year olds... id add one or two that have to do with family space, not just care of their own space and belongings... something like dusting the family rooms, setting the table etc.  Instill in them early that chores are not taking care of your personal stuff for your personal benefit (having clean stuff, allowance, rewards etc...) that chores are the things we ALL do to keep the house we ALL share up and running.  

Make sure you are setting them up to succeed... Are you going to be upset if some of the books are put on the shelf backwards or the dolls and cars end up in the same toy box?  If you dont mind things being put away haphazardly then thats fine, but if your more of a neat freak try things like baskets for the books to go into and smaller toy baskets clearly marked (possibly with a picture too) for dolls and for cars and whatever else so there isnt room to stuff it all in one big box.   

I discovered when my b/g twins were about 5 that my concept of "Neat and clean" was NOT the same as their concept!   They each had a space where they were supposed to line up their shoes neatly... neat and line were both being missed and it turned into a shoe pile and then id tell to to fix it and they would get upset because they already put their shoes away... and round and round it would go lol   The way we fixed this...while making a fun game of it, was to cut out little shoe prints out of construction paper... each pair of shoes got a pair of cutouts which we taped to the floor... now not only did each shoe have a "parking space" but they could easily see when a pair was missing and would go find their own shoes before I even started harping about the shoes all over the floor!   

Another good chore for 6 year olds is to get a shelf or a hanging divider etc.. and have them pick out all their clothes for the week over the weekend so they can help you get any laundry done that needs to be ready for the week and every outfit will be located and picked out before the week starts. 

Your kids might not be old enough to gripe about having to do SOOOO many chores, but if they are another tip:   

My older kids had a fit a while back when we re did our chore charts, they felt like they had to do SOOOOOO many things so I wrote each name in the house on a seperate piece of paper, moms included,  and told them that each time they were asked to do a new chore, or stepped in and did a chore to write it on the sheet so we could get a better idea of who was doing what and split the work load up properly.   The added benifit is they were all trying to look like they did the most work, so they were all doing extra stuff so they could write it down lol.  

After a week we had another family meeting and I asked every one to bring their lists and lay them on the table so we could all look and them and talk about the work load.   DD wrote big on hers and was trying to show off that she spilled onto a second sheet of paper... but I shut them all up when I laid out 9 piece of paper end to end with my weekly to do list on it!!!  LOL  They were being super nit picky on their lists... dumb things like "Put the cap back on the toothpaste because someone else left it off"   SO i wrote down every little thing for about 4 days on ruled paper LOL. As they are all standing there slack jawed I got a new piece of paper out and said "SO I hear yall want to make sure we are all doing the same amount of work...who wants some of my chores?" That conversation was over real fast and never came up again!! LOL  

Good luck with the chores and have fun. 

_the.mrs_
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Thank you. I am, actually, going to set them up with something for the living room and kitchen, but it will be more along the lines of keeping their items picked up at the end of the day, because I usually have all of that taken care of by the time they get home. We are going to have them start picking out their school clothes for the week. We have a 3 bedroom and we are a family of 5, so DS shares with the baby (she's 18 months and he wants to share with her for now), so they get ready for school downstairs, so as not to disturb the baby.

I love the ideas that you have, thank you so much for your input.

Quoting Cara5:

Yup!  Sounds like great chores for 6 year olds... id add one or two that have to do with family space, not just care of their own space and belongings... something like dusting the family rooms, setting the table etc.  Instill in them early that chores are not taking care of your personal stuff for your personal benefit (having clean stuff, allowance, rewards etc...) that chores are the things we ALL do to keep the house we ALL share up and running.  

Make sure you are setting them up to succeed... Are you going to be upset if some of the books are put on the shelf backwards or the dolls and cars end up in the same toy box?  If you dont mind things being put away haphazardly then thats fine, but if your more of a neat freak try things like baskets for the books to go into and smaller toy baskets clearly marked (possibly with a picture too) for dolls and for cars and whatever else so there isnt room to stuff it all in one big box.   

I discovered when my b/g twins were about 5 that my concept of "Neat and clean" was NOT the same as their concept!   They each had a space where they were supposed to line up their shoes neatly... neat and line were both being missed and it turned into a shoe pile and then id tell to to fix it and they would get upset because they already put their shoes away... and round and round it would go lol   The way we fixed this...while making a fun game of it, was to cut out little shoe prints out of construction paper... each pair of shoes got a pair of cutouts which we taped to the floor... now not only did each shoe have a "parking space" but they could easily see when a pair was missing and would go find their own shoes before I even started harping about the shoes all over the floor!   

Another good chore for 6 year olds is to get a shelf or a hanging divider etc.. and have them pick out all their clothes for the week over the weekend so they can help you get any laundry done that needs to be ready for the week and every outfit will be located and picked out before the week starts. 

Your kids might not be old enough to gripe about having to do SOOOO many chores, but if they are another tip:   

My older kids had a fit a while back when we re did our chore charts, they felt like they had to do SOOOOOO many things so I wrote each name in the house on a seperate piece of paper, moms included,  and told them that each time they were asked to do a new chore, or stepped in and did a chore to write it on the sheet so we could get a better idea of who was doing what and split the work load up properly.   The added benifit is they were all trying to look like they did the most work, so they were all doing extra stuff so they could write it down lol.  

After a week we had another family meeting and I asked every one to bring their lists and lay them on the table so we could all look and them and talk about the work load.   DD wrote big on hers and was trying to show off that she spilled onto a second sheet of paper... but I shut them all up when I laid out 9 piece of paper end to end with my weekly to do list on it!!!  LOL  They were being super nit picky on their lists... dumb things like "Put the cap back on the toothpaste because someone else left it off"   SO i wrote down every little thing for about 4 days on ruled paper LOL. As they are all standing there slack jawed I got a new piece of paper out and said "SO I hear yall want to make sure we are all doing the same amount of work...who wants some of my chores?" That conversation was over real fast and never came up again!! LOL  

Good luck with the chores and have fun. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)