Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Truth about Pit Bulls

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM
  • 23 Replies

Don’t believe everything you have heard!

♦ There are an estimated 4.8 million registered American Pit Bull Terriers that have been selectively bred for companionship and conformation dog shows. This number does not include the unregistered APBT’s, which would add significantly to the 4.8 million.
♦ The pit bull breeds have NEVER been bred for human aggression. These dogs, like all other dog breeds,
are not born inherently mean or bad! They can, like any other breed, become mean through lack of training, abuse, neglect and irresponsible ownership and breeding.
♦ Pit bulls do NOT have locking jaws; the pit bull’s jaw is identical to any other dog of a similar size.
♦ Did you know that pit bulls consistently rate higher in the American Temperament Society’s tests every year than many common “family” dogs? The three breeds that make up pit bulls rate around the 83% passing whereas the Golden Retriever is in the 82%, Greyhound is in the 81%. You can view the list at www.atts.org.
♦ The United States Custom Service recruits pit bulls from Shelters to train in detection. One of their all time top dogs was Popsicle, who was rescued from a refrigerator during a raid. Popsicle currently has the highest money bust to date.
♦ One of the top-rated Search & Rescue teams in the U.S. is Kristine Crawford’s American Pit Bull Terrier, Dakota. Kris has two other SAR pit bulls! They were hand-picked by NASA to aid in the recovery of the astronauts from the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster. They were also involved in the Laci Peterson search and just recently saved a woman’s life. You can learn more about Kris and her team at www.forpitssake.org.
♦ President Roosevelt, Anthony Robbins, President Wilson, Fred
Astaire, General Patton, Humphrey Bogart, Helen Keller, Thomas
Edison, Bernadette Peters, Michael J. Fox, Ken Howard, Shannon
Elizabeth, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson, what do these people have in common? They are ALL the proud owners of pit bulls!
♦ There are many pit bulls who are productive members of society.
Trained to be service dogs, therapy assistants, educational dogs, narcotics detection, actors, search and rescue and more. Many have become public heroes saving peoples lives.

So yeah go ahead and hate them if you want but I still love them.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baebear
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:00 AM

I never liked pit bulls but I never knew this. It's good to know how much they have helped people in the past.

manda14311
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM
The horse is in the ground on this one already
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLiv22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I love pit bulls. It's all in the way the are taken care of or trained. I have met of the sweetest pit bulls.

camsmami
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Here we go again...kicking a dead dog..

NOBODY GIVES A RATS FRECKLED BUTT CRACK!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy4444
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Where's the like button on here? LOL love it! Great points!

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:07 AM
I see some good info on here, but I've seen lots of opposite info as well. I was doing research on them and found that they have records of dog attacks in the US and statistics showed that nearly half of the attacks were from pits. That has to say something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaSchimmel
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:11 AM
I own a pit/boxer mix who is a therapy dog and lovely best friend to my kids and know you have some good points. Also good for you for standing up for a breed you obviously love but even I feel this is a dead subject. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Everyone is always going to have thier own opinions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shyone_91786
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:13 AM

That's true but,

Here's a look at the various dog breeds that are considered potentially aggressive.

• Chow Chows are one-person dogs that tend to bite without any warning. They are also a bit ferocious around strangers, and can be quite a tenacious fighter. So make sure to discipline this dog and set right from wrong, immediately.
  • The Papillon is fiercely loyal of their owners - to a fault. They can be quite possessive and standoffish to strangers.
  • Old English Sheepdogs are very protective of their owners so they might be aggressive if anybody tends to be too close to its owners.
  • A Llasa Apso often gets cranky around kids.
  • Rottweilers are extremely protective of their masters.
  • Chihuahuas aren't too fond of kids. They'd rather be with adults than play around with tots.
  • Toy Poodles bite people and other animals out of self defense. Unfortunately, 'playing' according to you may be perceived as a form of 'attack' to them.
  • Dachshunds aren't known for their patience.
  • Jack Russell Terriers are feisty creatures who require early training to prevent long-term biting and digging problems.
  • Giant Schnauzers are very dominant. They often challenge adults, particularly strangers.
  • Cocker Spaniels often suffer from a dangerous genetic disease known as "rage syndrome." This syndrome causes spontaneous violent action against not strangers, but actual family members. Many Spaniels have been put down because of this unwanted behavior. Check with the breeder to ensure your Spaniel is free from this dangerous dog disease.
  • The Pekingese isn't all that tolerant of strangers.
  • Miniature Pinschers usually have aggression issues because they've got this "big dog-little body" mind set going on.

Here's a rundown of breeds that are typically gentle but can't shake off their "bad dog" image.

• Boxers are pretty good with kids. They are good watchdogs, but will only become aggressive
  • Bulldogs are very playful and gentle.
  • Great Danes, while considerable in size, happen to be kind and affectionate.
  • Mastiffs are especially quiet and docile.
  • German Shepherds are great with kids too. These are courageous, fiercely loyal dogs who, if trained properly, will be extremely gentle to family and guests.
  • Rottweilers are also capable of tenderness and affection. They have a bad rep, but if they trust you, you'll never have to worry.
Quoting Kaybean:

I see some good info on here, but I've seen lots of opposite info as well. I was doing research on them and found that they have records of dog attacks in the US and statistics showed that nearly half of the attacks were from pits. That has to say something.

catinseaside
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:17 AM

...I still don't like them.

Jenniejen77
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:22 AM

How many of those dogs were actually Pits though? Have you read the research about how many of those dogs were actually misidentified as PIts when they were actually something else? Have your read the research about the media bias on Pits and how they will actually report false information for a more sensational (and higher ratings) show? 

1. First, it is essential to realize that there is no officially recognized breed of dog known as pit bull.  The term is vague.  A "pit bull" is not a dog breed. A pit bull is not listed or recognized as a breed either by the American Kennel Club or the United Kennel Club, or any other dog registry in the world. 

2. Second, established breeds commonly lumped together as "pit bulls", such as the American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier, are recognized as specific and different breeds.  Each is recognized as unique breed by the United Kennel Club and American Kennel Club respectively.

3. Even though the term "pit bull" is defined in the dictionary as “a dog (as an American Staffordshire terrier) of any of several breeds or a real or apparent hybrid with one or more of these breeds that was developed and is now often trained for fighting and is noted for strength and stamina” there is no standardized list of breeds which are universally accepted as pit bulls, and pit bulls are notoriously misidentified. Pure-bred dogs generally falling within what some might broadly considered as pit bulls are several.  Each is a separate and distinct breed, however.  American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Miniture Bull Terrier, American Bull Dog, Dogo Argentino, Boxers, or Alpha Blue Blood Bull Dog are some examples. 

4. In my experience as an expert on breed identification, various dog types have been erroneously misidentified as American Staffordshire Terriers or American Pit Bull Terriers, and when there is a mixed breed dog involved accurate identification becomes problematic.  In my opinion, when percentages fall below approximately 75% for the American Pit Bull terrier or American Staffordshire terrier, I do not feel that it is possible to accurately assess the breed composition of a mixed breed dog based on appearance alone for the purpose of stating that the dog is partially American Pit Bull terrier or American Staffordshire terrier or a closely related breed.

http://www.dogexpert.com/Pitbull%20terriers/Problemswithpitbullidentification.html

Quoting Kaybean:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)