Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Religious Question

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM
  • 55 Replies

I have a question about the bible and it's interpretation. Shakespeare's plays contain language that, although common then, has to be explained and is not to be taken literally. It is understood that because he lived 200 years ago (appox) his speech was/is different from today. My question is why is the bible (2000 plus years appox) taken at face value; why is it taken literally? Is there not an understanding or the expectation that language/speech then was different (meant something different) than the definitions we tack on today.
This is not a knock of any religion or belief, just a serious question.

(please ignore errors, on a mobile)

"Don't tell me about the Good book now, son. I'll preach heaven and beat the hell outta you."

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Iconoclast
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:21 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLiv22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM

I don't take it literally, but I may not be the best one to answer. I'm catholic and for gay marriage and I'm pro choice. I know I'm a walking oxy moron.

shyone_91786
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:24 AM

What do you mean by literally. Because the bible also has to be interpreted. You can't take the bible at face value

camsmami
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:24 AM
I take every aspect of the bible just as it says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texasmami86
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Quoting MamaLiv22:

I don't take it literally, but I may not be the best one to answer. I'm catholic and for gay marriage and I'm pro choice. I know I'm a walking oxy moron.

Me either! I am for both but I am Seventh Day Adventist. So I will give you a bump

texasmami86
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:25 AM

BUMP!

nena_a
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM

some people just cant or wont accept the lunacy that is the Bible. I used to be one of those people but I was thankfully able to snap out of the haze and come to reality. sometimes you just can't let go and you use bullshit excuses that are weak and pathetic to back up your beliefs. but whatever. to each their own.

SEIGH....that is all.

MamaLiv22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Seriously, like every single word of the bible just as it is?

Quoting camsmami:

TIFFANYT1432
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:32 AM
No, the Bible has to be interpreted as it would've been when it was written. A good pastor/teacher will explain the actual definitions/references, but its also best to look them up yourself. To understand some of the stories, you have to understand the history of the biographer, traditions, laws, etc. Yes, I believe the Bible word-for-word, when interpreted correctly. And many ppl view the same verses differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camsmami
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM
Yup, I seriously take it word for word. Unless it says that those beliefs arent to be followed anymore, like a majoirty of the old testament.

Quoting MamaLiv22:

Seriously, like every single word of the bible just as it is?

Quoting camsmami:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)