Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

um...wow

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:49 AM
  • 13 Replies

thoughts?

Eddy Hill is capturing his self-declared moment in history.

"Today, I declared March 1 as White History Month," Hill said.

The images of "Hitler," "white power," and swastikas are drawn across his property, clearly visible to passer-bys.

"I wanted people to see it," Hill said.

But surrounding residents in this predominantly African American neighborhood want those messages gone.

"Very racism, and it's a threat to our community," said resident Ray Thomas.

"You don't want any problems, you gotta get out of the neighborhood. That's just real," resident Peair Jones said.

Some say Hill has taunted residents. Hill denies that, but admits to occasionally taking pictures of people walking by.

The presence has been a concern to Lamonica Jackson, not only for herself, but for her son.

"My main concern is my child. He rides his bike around here all the time," Lamonica Jackson said.

Police say Hill hasn't broken any laws, but they continue to monitor the situation.

And it could last some time. Despite the response from the neighborhood, Hill says he has no plans to leave.

While Hope Police would not go on camera, they did release this statement:

"The Hope Police Department is very concerned about many of the statements made by Mr. Eddy Hill. We are also very concerned with the disruption he is causing in his neighborhood. We want the community to be aware that we take every allegation seriously and have been in contact with other outside agencies to include ATF, FBI, Secret Service, and the US Postal Inspectors office about this situation."

link to the story is   http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext/?nxd_id=399806

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparkyfire
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:52 AM
Sadly, while he is entitled to his opinion and choice of decoration... If he isnt acting on it there isnt much that can be done.
that being said... If he was my neighbor... He'd be 6 ft under >.>
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SThompson21
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:53 AM

i agree that legally he can do it...im all for the freedom of speech and etc. but he is def. taking it to the extreme

massteria
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM

So long as he isn't actually harming anyone, I don't see where he is doing anything wrong.  I am sure that most people either know or live in a neighborhood with someone who is racist in one form or another.  While I don't agree with the 'white power' view point, I can see why some people who do are pushing the limits with it.  We live in a country where being proud of your race/heritage is only okay if you aren't white.  We have an entire month dedicated to black history, there are scholarships and organizations specifically for the 'minority' races that white people don't have access to just because they are white.  Police officers are recorded and scrutinized if they have to use physical force on someone of a 'minority' race (most often blacks) but not if that same level of force is used on a white person.  The sad thing is that white people are on the verge of becoming the minority race in America. 

Honestly, I give the man props for having the balls to throw his beliefs out there.  I might not agree with them, but he isn't hurting anyone and is well within his rights to do what he is doing.

lilpunkymom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:02 AM

everyone will be some shade of brown in 20 years or so.....I'm a frikkin heinz 57 lol....

1/2 mexican

2nd half .....dad came from canada....got family up there...grandma from germany (straight up german) and grandpa irish.....

SThompson21
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM

lol! me too.

im just shocked more by how extreme he took his opinions..i have never seen/heard of something like this

meagansmama1009
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM

This. Especially the part in red

Quoting massteria:

So long as he isn't actually harming anyone, I don't see where he is doing anything wrong.  I am sure that most people either know or live in a neighborhood with someone who is racist in one form or another.  While I don't agree with the 'white power' view point, I can see why some people who do are pushing the limits with it.  We live in a country where being proud of your race/heritage is only okay if you aren't white.  We have an entire month dedicated to black history, there are scholarships and organizations specifically for the 'minority' races that white people don't have access to just because they are white.  Police officers are recorded and scrutinized if they have to use physical force on someone of a 'minority' race (most often blacks) but not if that same level of force is used on a white person.  The sad thing is that white people are on the verge of becoming the minority race in America. 

Honestly, I give the man props for having the balls to throw his beliefs out there.  I might not agree with them, but he isn't hurting anyone and is well within his rights to do what he is doing.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Johns_Gal
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Quoting SThompson21:

i agree that legally he can do it...im all for the freedom of speech and etc. but he is def. taking it to the extreme

While I am in agreement with freedom of speech, this to me is hateful and truthfully, encouraging/enciting harm to other people.  But what can we do, without reosritng to vigilante justice?  Sigh.

I wish we could legislate this crap away, but we really can't.  All we can do is teach our children that racism is absolutely wrong and people who are racist should not be encouraged, and should be called out on their hate. 

Frankly, were I one of the people living there, I would not be scared of little Mr. Creep.  Aware and armed, you betcha.  But he's probably your usual racist; whiney with an inferiority complex, and no physical threat.  Poor parents having to explain that crap to their kids though.

JMVITT
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:16 AM

This is exactly why I am not totally against HOA's lol.  That guy is nuts and it's amazing no one has killed him yet.  This stuff disturbs me very much.  My first day in Kindergarten, I met a boy named Danny.  He was native american.  My best friend for 2 years, he moved away over the summer before 2nd grade.  Who was my next best friend?   A little black girl.  I didn't have any white friends until 4 th grade.  I was not exposed to racism, I was raised that we all bleed the same color.  Now over the last few years, I am seeing it more and more and it just makes my heart ache.  How on earth did we get to this point? 

lilpunkymom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Maybe he is trying to provoke them so they do something to him .....so that the race "looks" even worse.....

dude I get callded a wetback all the time too ....that shit hurts....its always said all fucken loud and mean.

SThompson21
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:22 AM

see i dont understand how people can be so heartless. what does it accomplish to be like that??

Quoting lilpunkymom:

Maybe he is trying to provoke them so they do something to him .....so that the race "looks" even worse.....

dude I get callded a wetback all the time too ....that shit hurts....its always said all fucken loud and mean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)