Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you have none? *update*

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM
  • 60 Replies

I dont want this to turn into a bash fest or anything, Im just generally curious. I saw recently somebody had run out of formula and was asking for help, if anybody had extra. Im just wondering, how do you run out? I mean, dont you look in the can, estimate how much is left and plan accordingly? Have you ever run out or had to ask for help? Im also curious about this person because it is 2 days after payday. Usually people set aside grocery money each paycheck.

Update- Yes, several women offered to help this lady, and Im pretty sure she ended up with the formula she needed for her child. Whatever her circumstances are, I hope that she is able to fix things promptly and get the financial help she might need.

Also, at our location, more than half the families here qualify for WIC. I hope she can get an appointment soon :)

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futuremilf831
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:35 AM
I buy two big cans to supplement the WIC. But that was almost 3 years ago. I am breastfeed this one in the oven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMVITT
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:37 AM

That happened once to me, I estimated wrong...oops!  So I had to go into town a bit earlier than planned.  Never happened again though.  Oh and I always had money for formula.  Purchasing anything for my kids was never an issue.

trz031407
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I don't know. It must suck to be in that position. I was lucky enough that I lived with my parents while my son was an infant and they would help me if my WIC was used up and I needed more and the money wasn't in yet. But I never waited until the last minute, We always had 2 cans in the house (atleast) at a time. I don't want to know what it's like to be stuck like that. I'd be selling SOMETHING to the pawn shop to get the money needed. Formula IS very expensive. I know 4yrs ago it was $25 a can for my son. I'm sure it's only increased, and that wasn't the special kind either!

Vandyswife
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:39 AM

??? I always had a stock.. so im not sure. but I am sure its not hard to do.... things happen. especially when you have more then one kiddo, and your alone!

Lauriemom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:41 AM

This is one thing I never ran out of money for. No matter how broke I was, we bought the baby's things first(formula, diapers, baby food, etc) and our food afterwards.

lexismum03

you have to plan accordingly. I never ran out. if its two days after payday she should have looked in her can on pay day. you usually know how much your child will drink and you will know hmm I'm pretty low. I should buy some today. I'd rather skip an electric bill or something and call them to set up arrangements and buy my childs formula than to run out of food for my baby!

southernjess3

i have run out before. thought her can of rice cereal was formula because they look similar. but thats why hubs grandparents keep an extra can for us..lol

alexsmomaubrys2

I have had that happen once but I was able to put the baby in the car and run to walmart and get some more.

I couldn't imagine running out and not having enough money to get more. =(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

southern_momof2
Not sure how it happens. I have never run out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:41 AM

If I ran short, I would just call my husband and have him pick some up on his way home from work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)