Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Psudafed purchase limits

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:39 AM
  • 11 Replies

I was at Kroger last night looking for a cold medicine.  I found one that actually has psudafed rather than phenylephrine, so I jumped at it (even being theraflu, GAG!).  I went to the pharmacy and asked for 2 boxes of it.  Each box contains 6 packets, so enough for 24 hours, if taken every 4 hours, as the instructions say you can.  The kid told me I couldn't buy 2 because it exceeded the legal amount of pseudoephedrine I could buy.  This box contains the equivalent of 6 doses of the drug; 1 day's worth.  I *could* go in and buy a box of 48 psudafed pills, enough for 12 days, without any issue, but I can't buy enough cold medicine for 2 days?  I think somebody's math skills are lacking.  :(

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orcadarwin
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I didn't know they made it with pseudoephedrine in it anymore.  I know they put those behind the counter and put restricitions on it because the meth cooks were using it to make their stuff.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

next time ask for the pharmacist to verify that. 

gamom36
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Thank the meth makers for the new law!

This has been a GA law for over a yr now b/cause the meth heads n makers use this in their dangerous concoction. I was told this by a friend who is in LE. Guess we have to suffer for their stupidity!

Pnukey
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

They just don't want you making meth.

mysticalmalissa
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I'm glad to hear that. Although I doubt it will put any kind of damper on the damn crank heads.  :/

AjsMom0508
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

It's not just the stuff with pseudoephedrine in it that has restrictions.  Where I work we can't sell more than 4 boxes or bottles of cold medicine that can be purchased right out of the aisle.  We also have to scan EVERY person's ID when they buy ANY kind of cold medicine.  We can't just input the birthdate.  Our computer system won't let us (unless the person is a supervisor).

mom2ljh
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM
I know why, just complaining at somebody's lack of math skills. The daily limit is 3.6 grams, and monthly is 9 grams. That is a TON of sudafed. If he'd sold me the two boxes j wanted, it would have been 720mg, WELL under the 3.6g a day limit.

Quoting gamom36:

This has been a GA law for over a yr now b/cause the meth heads n makers use this in their dangerous concoction. I was told this by a friend who is in LE. Guess we have to suffer for their stupidity!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn4175
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Here they only sell pseudophedrine from behind the pharmacy counter now.  I had to give them my driver's license to buy a bottle of children's sudafed a couple of weeks ago when my son had pneumonia.

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Here in Florida, you have to show ID to buy all cold medicine.  Here they don't even sell the larger quantity boxes.

gamom36
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM

It's crazy b/cause when we get sick we have to ration those types of meds and pray we get better quickly!

Quoting mom2ljh:

I know why, just complaining at somebody's lack of math skills. The daily limit is 3.6 grams, and monthly is 9 grams. That is a TON of sudafed. If he'd sold me the two boxes j wanted, it would have been 720mg, WELL under the 3.6g a day limit.

Quoting gamom36:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)