Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about this? Edit at the bottom.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM
  • 16 Replies

My husband has two younger brothers. The youngest of them, who is my MIL's favorite, her pitiful little baby, got a DUI. He mowed down some dude's fence. She said he took out about 30 feet of it before he actually realized it, and stopped. He was arrested, and bonded out, so he could work. He fixed the fence voluntarily, and volunteered for several hours of community service. She said he also went to some DUI class.

Anyway, he went to court over it yesterday and was sentenced to 90 days in jail, probation once he's out, some fine, defensive driving/DUI school again, and a fine.

My mother in law is in hysterics because her poor baby has to go to jail. "He shouldn't have to go to jail, he didn't do anything wrong, he didn't hurt anyone" is what her thinking is.

How in the world can you mow down a chain link fence, not just a little of it, but an entire side of it (it was the dude's front yard) without realizing it? I mean, how is this "nothing wrong"?

My concern is what if that fence had been a kid? Someone's child. Someone's brother, wife, husband...

Personally, I think driving under the influence is stupid. I'd rather see this idiot spend time in jail now than see him with a prison sentence for vehicular homicide later because he ran down someone after drinking one night.

Am I crazy? I finally quit answering my phone because I can't stand listening to her cry about her criminal child.

EDIT: This is the SECOND DUI he's been arrested for. I know he's been drunk and has driven before, without being caught. This is certainly not the first time this has happened.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southern_momof2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM
He deserves to go to jail. I hope he learns a lesson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FuzzybugsMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

This is what I think but you can't tell her that. She says "My kids are good kids"... well, one's going to jail for DUI, one was in jail for almost a year for assault, he beat a guy with a 12'' crescent wrench, and the other (my husband) has been in jail too. Driving without a license. So hell, at least his wasn't god awful.

Quoting southern_momof2:

He deserves to go to jail. I hope he learns a lesson.

southernjess3
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

if you drink and drive, you deserve jail, whether you hit anything or not

angi07
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM
He deserves jail time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FuzzybugsMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I'm glad there are such smart women here. I was wondering if I was the only one who thought this.

Quoting southernjess3:

if you drink and drive, you deserve jail, whether you hit anything or not

mitch576
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM
My kid's ass would be in jail and the only tears shed would be due to my being disappointed...
But I would be right there telling the judge to "huck the book at him!"
Because actions have consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathysclown
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I do not understand why some mothers do things like this.   They are shit people in our society and yet the mothers blame everyone else. Drives me crazy.....I know several people just like this.

kathysclown
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Quoting mitch576:

My kid's ass would be in jail and the only tears shed would be due to my being disappointed...
But I would be right there telling the judge to "huck the book at him!"
Because actions have consequences.

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM
I think it is selfish to drink and drive. Have some control or call a cab. He should have gotten some jail time. I agree with a pp, it could have been sometimes child, mother, brother, ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southern_momof2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM
His SECOND?!? We need harsher penalties for DWI's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)