Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on AT&T U-verse?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM
  • 24 Replies

My husband signed us up for U-verse last night. A salesperson came by the house and offered us a whole slew of specials. We've been less than thrilled with our current Time Warner service, so he figured "Why not?" The installation crew will be here in an hour. I've heard some mixed reviews on U-verse, so I'm curious... what's your opinion? How has your service been?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
massteria
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I have never been fond of AT&T, so I wouldn't ever use any service that had their name on it.  But here is a bump for you.

PeaceLoveKnit
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Thank you. I've never been their biggest fan either, so I'm skeptical.

Quoting massteria:

I have never been fond of AT&T, so I wouldn't ever use any service that had their name on it.  But here is a bump for you.

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

We have the cable and internet.  I absolutely LOVE it!  The first DVR is included, then each extra one is $7 a month, for us.  You can record 4 shows at once (2 HD and 2 non-HD) and still watch your recorded list.  No one else has that.  The internet is also not shared.  Meaning when everyone gets home at 5 or 6 and logs on, your internet won't slow down.  

We are switching our internet to Clear though.  We need a mobile thing for our laptops and AT&T doesn't offer it.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Eh.  My own reviews are mixed.  LOL  We have had it for about a year now.  I love the programming, I love the On Demand features.  We don't really like that they tell you that you can record 4 shows at once, but fail to tell you that HD shows take up 2 spaces.  So, 4 regular shows or 2 HD shows.  And we hate the fact that you cannot pause live TV on the secondary receivers, only the main one.  I really don't understand that.  But, we love that it doesn't go out when it rains like our Dish did.  And have had no problems with customer service.  They are really friendly and helpful.

liveforever
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

we had time warner before we moved, then got uverse. i didnt care for time warner...love uverse. it does take long to install, but the guys that were here were very nice and even entertained my dds 50 questions about what they were doing.

last week during the ice/wind storm (in ohio) a huge tree branch fell and took out all the uverse lines, ripped the box straight off the house. we called just to let them know, not expecting anything to be done til the weather improved. they came out that same day and repaired EVERYTHING. im very impressed with their service.

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

If you're on one, you can begin recording it, then you can move to the other TV.  Their customer service is really awesome, lol.  Everyone I've talked to has been great.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Eh.  My own reviews are mixed.  LOL  We have had it for about a year now.  I love the programming, I love the On Demand features.  We don't really like that they tell you that you can record 4 shows at once, but fail to tell you that HD shows take up 2 spaces.  So, 4 regular shows or 2 HD shows.  And we hate the fact that you cannot pause live TV on the secondary receivers, only the main one.  I really don't understand that.  But, we love that it doesn't go out when it rains like our Dish did.  And have had no problems with customer service.  They are really friendly and helpful.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Yeah, but I don't like the fact that I may be watching TV in the bedroom, and can't pause my show to go to the bathroom.  I can record it, but I can't pause it.  Just makes no sense to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

If you're on one, you can begin recording it, then you can move to the other TV.  Their customer service is really awesome, lol.  Everyone I've talked to has been great.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Photobucket
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I think it's because they're not the actual DVRs.  They're satellite boxes.  They can watch the DVR shows, but they're pulling it from your actual account.  When you record something, it's not just on your DVR, it's on some sort of database.  So if your main DVR needs to be switched, you still have all of your recorded shows and the list of shows you have set to record.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Yeah, but I don't like the fact that I may be watching TV in the bedroom, and can't pause my show to go to the bathroom.  I can record it, but I can't pause it.  Just makes no sense to me.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

PeaceLoveKnit
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Thanks, all. You've relieved my skepticism some.

They offered us a $300 VISA cash card just to try them for a month. We're getting the U300, voice and internet for less than we pay for Time Warner's 100 channel plan and highest speed internet. They're also installing a reciever in a room that Time warner told us was "impossible." The AT&T crew said the TW crew was just lazy. Rivalry, you think? LOL

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Probably.  And overall we are very happy with the service.  That is the ONLY thing that irritates me.  And it might be because we could pause it on Dish Network, so that was a change for us.

Quoting jillbailey26:

I think it's because they're not the actual DVRs.  They're satellite boxes.  They can watch the DVR shows, but they're pulling it from your actual account.  When you record something, it's not just on your DVR, it's on some sort of database.  So if your main DVR needs to be switched, you still have all of your recorded shows and the list of shows you have set to record.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)