Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are mothers on PA embarrassed to admit they are?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM
  • 121 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever been on PA?

Options:

Yes

No

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 195

View Results

I dont care who is on PA or not. Heck I had to get on PA when I left my ex husband. I had two children ages 1 & 2, and hadnt worked in 5 yrs bc my abusive ex husband wouldnt allow me to. After a few months I got a job, and worked there for 2.5 yrs. I received medicaid for my children (HUGE HELP), WIC, and Food Stamps. Goodness did these programs help me to get back on my feet! I am so glad that they do provide these programs for people who truly need the help.

Im re-married now, and Im a sahm and a babysitter. I dont need PA anymore, but when I was on PA, and on CM, I realized a lot of people kind of look down on people on PA. And I never once admitted I was. I was embarrassed to say I was bc I feared people would just assume that I wasnt trying to get myself together.

I have been on the wealthy side of life, the struggling side, and now... Life is pretty good.

Have any of you been embarrassed to admit you were/ are on PA? Did people look down on you for needing the help??

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
touniquemommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

nope tried to get food stamps when i was on maternaty leave was told i make to much money but i won't have been embarrassed by it

poshkat
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

i was no embarrassed or ashamed i just didnt advertise it and i used self check out because the cashiers would always give me problems.

malissaL
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

no and we really need the help. but we don't qualify for it. there are 3 of us and we live on 1400.00 a month. 

DviousMaskerade
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I went on foodstamps for 2 months when my SO lost his job a couple years ago. I tried my best for a couple months before that to make it on my own but in the end my family wasn't getting the nutrition it needed so I chose that. I'm not embarrassed by it, it's something that was necessary for my family at the time and when I didn't need it anymore I stopped using it. 

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM
I needed help so we had medicaid. I have never had fs but att one point we did go to a food bank and got assistance for our power bil. I was not proud of it but not ashamed that I needed help.,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I was on WIC with my first child and it helped ALOT in the formula department, since I couldn't BF.

Cavalrybaby02
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

We've been on WIC.  I'm not embarrassed about it, the only reason we qualified, even then, was because they don't count all of our income as income.

I've never been on any other kind of PA, though, not even growing up.

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

My parents were always on food stamps when I was growing up, so I have lived on PA before.  I have never needed it in my adult life though, thank goodness.

Ashmom614
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

We could really use the help right now, but I believe that it's our own actions that lead us to where we are. DH makes more than enough, but we've made stupid choices. Therefore, I don't think it's the governments job to pay for my bad choices. Thankfully, we don't qualify.

To answer your question honestly. If I WAS on it, yes, I'd be embarrassed. That's just me though and how I view myself. (Low self esteem!) I don't want to judge others who are using it to truly get back on their feet. It's those that abuse the system that piss me off. But unless you truly know the history and background of the person (not just are you on PA or not) then there's really no place to judge.

sphillips6
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

My thing was that the cahsiers would almost always have problems with the WIC, and i would hold up a line, and people would stare and get aggravated. It mad my cheeks red to know i was the one causing the hold up. I never was on PA growing up either, so to have to admit to my family, and friends I needed help made me feel like I hadnt done something right...

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

We've been on WIC.  I'm not embarrassed about it, the only reason we qualified, even then, was because they don't count all of our income as income.

I've never been on any other kind of PA, though, not even growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)