Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supreme Court sides with the WBC

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM
  • 31 Replies

Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests

By Bill Mears, CNN Supreme Court Producer
March 2, 2011 10:32 a.m. EST
Click to play
High court OKs funeral protests
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The 8-1 vote upholds the right of Westboro Baptist Church members to stage protests
  • The father of a fallen Marine sued after church members protested at his son's funeral

Washington (CNN) -- A Kansas church that attracted nationwide attention for its angry, anti-gay protests at the funerals of U.S. military members has won its appeal at the Supreme Court, an issue testing the competing constitutional limits of free speech and privacy.

The justices, by an 8-1 vote, said Wednesday that members of Westboro Baptist Church had a right to promote what they call a broad-based message on public matters such as wars. The father of a fallen Marine had sued the small church, saying those protests amounted to targeted harassment and an intentional infliction of emotional distress.

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," the court's decision said.

Thoughts?!?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzie_ann
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM

They do have that constitutional right. Just because a huge majority disagrees with WBC doesn't mean it's ok to take away their freedoms.

heatherhall29
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I think what they are doing should be considered a hate crime and be held accountable.

zombiecupcake
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Exactly. They still have the right to voice their opinions even if they are wrong.

Quoting lizzie_ann:

They do have that constitutional right. Just because a huge majority disagrees with WBC doesn't mean it's ok to take away their freedoms.

LoriLou75
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM
I hate the protests of WBC, but to silence them would be dangerous, free speech needs to be protected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilentMermaid
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Yeah I really see both sides of this issue and I am really torn.

As a former soldier, military wife and someone who lost a loved one in Iraq, I absolutely hate this group and wish with everything in me that they would just go away.

However, the thought of them losing their constitutional right to free speech scared me a little too. I honestly dont know where I stand on this.

ootalia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Supreme Court is there to uphold the constitution. Thats what they did. Despite everyone hating WBC, they do have rights in our country.

KimberlyDoll
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I agree. I'm all for free speech but what they do is going above and beyond a normal protest. It's not right. 

Quoting heatherhall29:

I think what they are doing should be considered a hate crime and be held accountable.

Bird16_J
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I think how they act is like a hate crime they single people out and go after them. But I guess because they're a fucking "church" they can get away with it.

lilyrose73

Quoting ootalia:

Supreme Court is there to uphold the constitution. Thats what they did. Despite everyone hating WBC, they do have rights in our country.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
WBC is nothing but a bunch of douche bags. But that doesnt negate their right to freedom of speech
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)