Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want anyone else raising my children

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM
  • 26 Replies

This came up in a post last night and several people were curious.  Why would you justify being on PA while being a SAHM with not wanting anyone else raising your children?  You don't want anyone else raising them but have no problem relying on others to provide for them.  What's the difference?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxxAthena
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM

i dunno...i guess in their minds they are the ones that are putting their own moral opinions in instead of day care workers...but my issue with that thought process is that by that same logic unless you are homeschooling you are still letting someone else "raise your child"....no one is done raising them at 5 or 6 when they start K KWIM.I'm a SAHm and that point irks me.

bluesky51201
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Apparently school is "okay" because they need that and the first five years are the most important.  I don't see how you (in general) can say you're raising your children when you're not the one providing for them, that's part of raising children.  Taking care of their needs.

Quoting xxxAthena:

i dunno...i guess in their minds they are the ones that are putting their own moral opinions in instead of day care workers...but my issue with that thought process is that by that same logic unless you are homeschooling you are still letting someone else "raise your child"....no one is done raising them at 5 or 6 when they start K KWIM.I'm a SAHm and that point irks me.

Kaelaasmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM
I hate the whole "someone else raising them" argument.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haunted.mommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM

It really all depends on how they mean it.  I mean if your kids are in day care in the after noon or day time when you are working that is one thing.  That is not raising someone else's kid.  Yes they do help but ultimately you are there at night to feed them dinner and tuck them in and spend family time with them. 

Now if you work 2 or 3 jobs as some one stated just to send them to school and you have to have a nanny cause you are never home. Then the nanny is raising your kid, I am talking 24/7 not a day nanny coming in cause you work.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

bluesky51201
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Oh I do too but that's always the excuse that's given when someone asks "why are you sitting at home collecting PA instead of working".

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

SydneysMommy86
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I think being a SAHM is an awesome privledge you should only do if you can afford it. I have been a working mom and a SAHM and if you need PA to live, you should be working.

Cavalrybaby02
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I am a SAHM and I hate that argument.  It doesn't make any sense.

-Shelley-
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Especially when they plan on sending their children to school outside of the home. Apparently 7 or so hours a day with a teacher is fine then.

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

I am a SAHM and I hate that argument.  It doesn't make any sense.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
-Richard Dawkins
"He who knows best knows how little he knows."
-Thomas Jefferson

ZelisMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

That's not an argument, that's an excuse. For if it was fully true, they'd work at least part time opposite shifts from their husbands or work from home.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

bluesky51201
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)