Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SHOULD we still pay? I don't think so. (poll)

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM
  • 81 Replies

Poll

Question: Despite everything would you still pay?

Options:

yes, your still responsible

no, it's his own fault

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 182

View Results

We have this neighbor who has been a pain since day one - banging on his windows and yelling shut up at my kids for giggling on the swing. calling the cops the one time a soft rubber ball hit the side of his home (we banned balls in the yard after that). So about 4 yrs ago our son accidentally ran his bike into the neighbors truck causing a small scratch. Cops were called. After the cops left we tried to approach the neighbor to discuss paying for the damages. He refused to speak with us, going so far as parking inside the privacy gate and locking it so we couldn't speak to him. So we wrote letters trying to settle it. Nothing. Almost 2 yrs later we get a letter from his attorney threatening to take us to court for 5 broken windows and every scratch and dent on his truck. We were able to disprove all but the one scratch to the satisfaction of HIS lawyer, and included an offer for the scratch again. No response for a year. Then another letter threatening to take us to court again. This time we said take us. Six months later he files with small claims. Judge threw the case out for statute of limitation being up, but asked if we felt any moral responsibility to  pay the neighbor any way? I said no. This could've been settled long ago but for him lying to get more money. I'm curious how others might feel in my place.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ME_ME_ME
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I wouldn't pay... and I might even go to his yard in the middle of the night and key his car just to be a bitch.

paigesmommy5264

I wouldnt pay him, hes doing this for revenge-- if he cared about the scratch on his truck he would have taken action when it happened..

JenB1983

I sure as hell wouldn't.

AaliyKattmomof2

ditto to BOTH of the pp!!

aiyess
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM

If he was a decent human being, he would have spoken to you when it happened and taken care of the problem right then and there.  He sounds like a loser and a douche bag.  He had ample time to get this taken care of and from what you wrote, you have offered multiple times to rectify this problem and he didn't respond.  Too bad for his sorry ass.  Gah I'm mean today.

AshMomToShawn
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Hell no. He's not trying to get money to fix the scratch, he's trying to be a jackass.  

Bird16_J

Nope I wouldn't pay and wouldn't feel the need to pay either. He was the idiot that wouldn't contact you so you could pay for the scratch what a douchebag sorry you have a shitty neighbor like that.

crazytexan
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM
I wouldn't pay. You gave him enough chances to take you up on paying for the scratch. He chose to be childish about it, that's his bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllAboutYou1223

HELL NO!! I wouldn't pay him ANYTHING. You tried to make it right way back when it happened.. Oh well he waited too long - HIS FAULT.

christy201
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

It just kinda ticked me off that the judge gave ME a lecture on morality, but said nothing to the guy for lying. He even got caught in a lie to the judge today. Said he waited so long cause he was hoping we would make the first move, but I had saved all documentation since day one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)