Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be mad if someone approached your child?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 103 Replies

My anthropology teacher shared a story with the class about his weekend. He went to the mall and entered near the arcade. A boy of about 10 was using one of the rifles from a game to 'shoot' people as they walked through the doors or past the arcade. My teacher just walked by, then thought about it and went back. He told the kid that he knew he meant no harm but what he was doing could cause negative reactions for some people. He used veterans and soldiers who had recently returned from overseas as an example, not mentioning PTSD so to not go over the kid's head. He said he wasn't sure how the boy would respond, as there a group of his friends nearby listening. But he said the kid was genuinely apologetic, and said he didn't think of that and that he wouldn't do that anymore.

My question is, would you be mad if a stranger approached your child and said this to him/her?

I would not be. I think kids need to be aware of the consequences of their actions, even seemingly innocent actions. If I'm not there, I would be happy that someone RESPECTFULLY talked to my child about it. Now, had he been an asshole to the kid, yeah, then I would be angry lol.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
-Richard Dawkins
"He who knows best knows how little he knows."
-Thomas Jefferson

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Shelley-
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I should mention, he didn't tell the boy he HAD to stop, nor did he ask him to stop, he just pointed out the issues that could become of it.

K.A.R.T.S
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I don't think I would.

Simple-Beauty
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM
I wouldn't be mad at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zombiatarian
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

No probably not.

robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

it wouldnt bother me at all

the_kids_mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM
I wouldn't be upset...he was nice to the kid, wasn't bossy, just pointed out some things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissa632
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM
I wouldn't be mad about that. Kids DON'T think about that stuff & the professor was tactful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngeLnChainZ

At that age a child should know better anyway so no I would not be mad.

Mena929
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

If it was that scenario, no, I wouldn't be mad.

CallMeKITTYD

no.. that man was right

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)