Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholic hospital refuses VBAC

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM
  • 33 Replies

I was talking with a nurse here and apparently thie hospital I am at does not allow VBAC (vaginal birth after cesearean) AT ALL!

Have you heard this is common?

I would think because they are a Catholic based hospital they would be more inclined to promote "old fashioned" births.

What do you think about it?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calebmama
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

There are many many hospitals who will not "allow" women to have a vbac, its all about the money. I am a 2nd time vbac (my 1st son was a c-section, my 2nd was a vbac) and there are still hospitals in this area who wold force me to have a c-section.

ISAIAHMOM632007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM
Um lol.I am sure vbacs aren't against Catholic doctrine. Many places don't do them for liability reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chaos1229
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM
They are privately run so they can pretty much decide what procedures they allow and do not allow. There are quite a few hospitals that dont "allow" vbacs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I think it's a liability reason 

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM
I don't understand how they can force you to have a c section. You still have to sign a concent form for them to do it right? Just don't sign it. Would they kick you out for not signing it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karabearblu
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM
The hospitals around here wont and my doctor recommends a repeat csection. They just don't want to be liable in case you are in the 1% of uterine ruptures. Bunch of crap!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsDean
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Are you in san Pedro or torrance hospital? I have heard before it is hard to get a vbac okayed by a,hospital.
Are you able to transfer to long beach memorial? They are one of the best on the west coast with labor and delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandymb
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that its a Catholic hospital. Most don't recommend a vaginal birth after a Cesarean. They say it is more risky.

momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I dont' really think it has anything to do with Catholicism. Many hospitals have the no-VBAC policy as a way of protecting themselves and their doctors from lawsuits in case something goes wrong.

Sharon

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

when i was pregnant with my second one they said in order to have a vbac i would have to go thirty miles away in wichita to do it. i declined and took the csection instead

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)