Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walmart says, men are working to provide for their families, women are just working for extra spending money (SFOG) sorry if this is a repeat.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM
  • 35 Replies

Detrix Young, a Wal-Mart employee in Aiken, South Carolina, reports that she sat in a store-wide meeting where one of her female co-workers asked why the men in the store earned more than the women. One of the male managers answered that "men are working as the heads of their households, while women are just working for the sake of working." Another male manager laughed, even though several of the women were single mothers trying to make ends meet on a Wal-Mart paycheck.

Young is one of more than a hundred current and former Wal-Mart employees who submitted declarations to a federal court in support of their joint claim that Wal-Mart ― the nation's largest private employer ― discriminated against women in stores around the country, paying them less than male workers and promoting them less frequently. Later this month, the Supreme Court will hear the case to decide whether the women may bring their claims as a class action, or must bring their cases one at a time. The ACLU, along with the National Women's Law Center and joined by 32 other civil rights organizations, filed a friend-of-the-court brief today supporting the women.

In order to go forward as a class action, the women have to show that the discrimination they experienced has common elements ― that the sexist comments and pay inequity reported by Detrix Young in Aiken, South Carolina had enough in common with women's experiences in Wal-Mart stores around the country to justify hearing the cases together as one.

The evidence presented in the early stages of the case ― including the women's declarations ― shows that the archaic stereotype about women workers that Young described is also reflected in other women's accounts of how managers at Wal-Mart justified women's lower pay. In St. Petersburg, Florida, Ramona Scott reports that her store manager explained that men at Wal-Mart made more than women because "Men are here to make a career and women aren't. Retail is for housewives who just need to earn extra money." In Riverside, California, Stephanie Odle testified that her District Director of Operations explained an apparent gender-based pay inequality by saying that the man in question "supports his wife and his two kids;" her store manager in a Sacramento Sam's Club (a division of Wal-Mart) explained women's unequal pay by saying "Those girls don't need any more money; they make enough as it is." And the list goes on.

full article

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
triforcechick
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Yet another reason I refuse to shop at Walmart. What a sexist pig.

Mommavieve
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:24 PM
wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Me either, I've said for a long time that walmart is evil. I hope they have to pay big bucks.

Quoting triforcechick:

Yet another reason I refuse to shop at Walmart. What a sexist pig.

bribribri
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

OMG! They're going to get their butts handed to them. I can't think of a "housewife who just need[s] to earn extra money" that would EVER want to work at Walmart. It's too much stress and stupidity for just a job to earn extra money...idiots.

Chaos1229
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM
hmm funny when i worked at walmart your pay depended on what department you were in . It also depended on your evaluations and how much of a raise you recived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Exactly, does this douch think that single moms do not really exist?

Quoting bribribri:

OMG! They're going to get their butts handed to them. I can't think of a "housewife who just need[s] to earn extra money" that would EVER want to work at Walmart. It's too much stress and stupidity for just a job to earn extra money...idiots.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Wal-Mart is the devil. Super cheap never comes for free. =/

crazynlove1207
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Quoting Chaos1229:

hmm funny when i worked at walmart your pay depended on what department you were in . It also depended on your evaluations and how much of a raise you recived.

ditto.... I know of several men that I made more than.... Because I was better at my job.

CafeMom Tickers
COME JOIN THE FUN @ CONTESTS GALORE! Win cool prizes and participate in fun contests and games! CLICK HERE!

1likeme
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I would have sued too and I hope that all of these women win.  I also avoid Walmart like the plague.  I can't stand contributing to their greed and corruption. 

K.A.R.T.S
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM

WOW!!! DOUCHE BAGS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)