Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old not talking well?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

My 3 year old just started talking more a couple of months ago. She doesn't speak in complete sentences and her words are choppy but i get the drift of what she is trying to say. Everyone tells me something is wrong with her because she only talks to dh and i. I keep telling people there is nothing wrong she just doesn't feel comfortable talking around you. She still talks baby babble sometimes when she gets excited. She understands everything you say and ask her to do but i did notice it takes her a minute to get the word out. She will pause and then say the word. I am having someone from head start come out and evaluate her so she can get on the program. When she did the summer class she did so well. She is really shy but her smart you show her how to do something once and she has it down.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
art.diva
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM
I think this is something that should be professionally evaluated..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM
Sounds like she needs speech... My son is in speech, he loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM
It sounds like she's delayed. Children usually start putting two word sentences together around two years of age. I think getting her evaluated is a good start. It sounds like she needs some additional help.
sexymomma_88
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM
I think your doin the right thing. My son has a speech impediment sounds like him except he talks to everyone lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM
That is definitely not normal for that age. Get her evaluated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I watch my 2 1/2 yo grandson 20hours a day.  He use to speak, them just stopped.  He is now in speach therapy at his house a couple times a week.  Prior, he definately communicated with us.  not only does he understand us but we understand him.  The problem is he NEEDS to us words.  Ds & dil spoke to his doctor about it.  They then had a hearing test just to rule hearing problems out.

niehoff9
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I have an almost 2 year old that was evaluated by Early Access for her speech because she is delayed.  They are now coming out once a month and working with her on her speech.  If Head Start doesn't think she is behind or isn't able to help her talk to her doctor they may be able to refer you to a pediatric speech therapist.  I know we had to take our now 6 year old to speech therapy for a year but she does great now.  Good Luck.

kaidensmommy09
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

my DS who will be 22 months in a couple days just started saying complete sentences..the other morning it was "ice cream house, please momma."  He wanted to get ice cream at 8:25 am..Crazy boy. He is around  a lot of other kids all the time and they are all older, I think that has helped his language development. He is above the "average" for his age per the pediatrician. At 3 years old complete senteces should be expected, but every child developes differently.. dont worry about it, talk to your pediatrician about it and go from there. And as for other people's comments.. they really should keep to themselves!

flipper_28
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

she may have an issue with her hearing....or she may just be shy like you say...when my dd started pre k, she didn't talk.....they said she had a speach problem and just didn't wanna talk because she could tell she sounded different...now she's in speach 2 times a week and is doing excellent.

AshMomToShawn
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:47 PM

While it's worth getting it checked out some kids just don't talk yet. My friends kid didn't talk until she was 4 then it was like she'd been doing it all along. My son doesn't talk much, he's 3 today...I was told he's perfectly fine, I happen to agree. Kids develop differently.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)