Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prozac and the like linked to more than 80 % of suicide cases in recent study. your thoughts?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM
  • 70 Replies
I am just curious about what you ladies think about ssri's ? Do you think they are worth the risks? Are they effective? My dh was prescribed Prozac and our research on it is turning up some scary information. While I try to take everything with a grain of salt I find some of the information about big pharm sensoring the studies done on the antidepressants to be very possible.

What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.naturalnews.com/Prozac.html

Hope link works, I'm on my phone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manda14311
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM
http://www.naturalnews.com/Prozac.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manda14311
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Sorry can't seem to get the link to work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
getoesuepastah
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

ive been antidepressants several times  no issue however i wouldnt give them to a minor

the suicide risk is for minors not adults also ur link is not a reputable source

BizzE
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

My 14 yo dd was taking prozac and wanted to commit suicide. She was put in to a mental hospital for over a month from that and other issues. The issues she had was heightened by the meds. She kept thinking about hanging herself.

another girl in the area took prozac too. She was depressed ( turns out there were some big issues there) She had been on the meds for awhile and just a week or so ago she went off on her mother and ripped the hair out of her head. It all started when the mother noticed the huge cut marks the girl made on her arms and legs.

I would rather be anything but ordinary...

manda14311
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM
The link is just an amalgamation of articles, what makes a reputable source in your opinion? Where would u go to research this?

Quoting getoesuepastah:

ive been antidepressants several times  no issue however i wouldnt give them to a minor

the suicide risk is for minors not adults also ur link is not a reputable source

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I dunno. About 15 years ago I was on Prozac. Had to stop taking it because... well... DH couldn't handle my happiness and other needs. LOL When I tried it again it didn't work at all.

Anyways remember everyone reacts differently to prescriptions. And all drugs can have some seriously bad reactions.

xxxAthena
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

i was prescribed it and i got this odd image flash...it would pop up and it was me sitting in a chair shooting myself in the head. so i tossed the pills because i know i would never do something like that. my friend was on these meds and i didn't know it..she did shoot herself in the head with a shotgun. my other friend tried to jump out of a window...so yeah..i believe it.

Zombiatarian
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I have a hard time describing what Prozac did to me.  I guess the best way to say it is it turned me into a zombie.  I was emotionless.  I couldn't cry; I couldn't feel joy.

In all honesty, I hated that more than depression.  I haven't found a medication or doseage that doesn't make me feel zombified.

mom_dl6
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM

bump

manda14311
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Oh and the Swedish study I'm referring to was not restrictive to minors. It was calling for the black box warning to be changed from 18 to 25 years old.

Quoting getoesuepastah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)