Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD catches breath/gasps for air in her sleep...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have noticed that past week when my 3 yo dd is napping/sleeping at night she will stop & gasp for air like she cant breathe then start snoring really bad. I immediatly think of sleep apnea...but isnt she too young for that? She isnt overweight at all or have any other medical issues. I called the Dr. & waiting for nurse to call me back, just thought I`d see if anyone else experienced this w. their child??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM

DH does this often and it is so scary.  A friend of mine works at a sleep clinic and they do sleep tests on kids all the time.  I don't think it is as uncommon as you think. 

JADIEBUG
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

No she is not to young for Sleep Apnea. Snoring is also a sign of breathing issues.

JADIEBUG

Your husband needs to get that addressed ASAP. It can cause some serious lifetime health issues and sometimes sudden death.

Quoting Ktina11:

DH does this often and it is so scary.  A friend of mine works at a sleep clinic and they do sleep tests on kids all the time.  I don't think it is as uncommon as you think. 

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
Sleep apnea can affect any age. I don't have any experience with it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

That sounds like it could be sleep apnea, my son had signs of it at 1 year old and had to get his tonsils removed (there were other reasons for the tonsil removal in addition to the apnea though).

The ENT DR definitely said the holding breath things is a sign for it, which is what my son was doing. He was not overweight either, sometimes people just have it. Having his tonsils/adnoids removed helped with that and the other issues my son was having.

I would speak to the DR. At least so that they have record of her possibly having the issue so that if other signs start popping up they've got the information.

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I agree.  Men....sheesh.  Can't make them do anything. 

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Your husband needs to get that addressed ASAP. It can cause some serious lifetime health issues and sometimes sudden death.

Quoting Ktina11:

kyliesmommy22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM
thanks everyone..im still waiting for the rn to call back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)