Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think poor people are less likely to be in shape? *POLL*

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: What is YOUR personal status?

Options:

I have money to spare and I am in good shape

I have money to spare and I could use a little up-keep

I have money to spare and I am OUT of shape

I do not have money to spare and I am in good shape

I do not have money to spare and I could use some up keep

I do not have money to spare and I am OUT of shape

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 35

View Results

Do you think that people who have less money, or are considered "poor" less likely to be in shape/ healthy?

Do you think rich people, or people who are better off more likely to be healthy and in shape?

What are your reasoning's behind your opinions?  

As for the poll options;

Having money to spare is my opinion of being "well off". It means, you dont struggle with bills, you have money to save, etc. It doesnt necessarily have to due with how much you make.

Not having money to spare is struggling to pay any or all bills, living paycheck to paycheck, just getting by, having little or no money left over, no savings.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Statistically speaking. Yes. Whole foods are more expensive than processed foods and those that have to make their dollar stretch farther tend to buy more processed foods. It really is as simple as that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

allyson2212
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Im working on getting into shape, so I chose "could use a little up keep", and we do not have much money left over after bills.

As far as the first two questions, Ive seen a good mix of both, but Ive personally seen a lot of people with money in very good shape. I dont think that having money problems automatically makes you unhealthy, but it can lead to things like depression, which can contribute to being out of shape.

.kk.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Throughout the course of history, poor people have been malnourished and underweight and rich people have been overweight.

Only in America will you find the exact opposite.

JTNMD711
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Yes, poor people or people less well off tend to eat more processed foods, and even "diet" foods are so processed that the body has to work harder to break them down which actually makes you heavier.  People who have more money tend to be thinner since they can afford meats, veggies etc and make more time to excercise, or join a gym if they have to.

JTNMD711
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Quoting .kk.:

Throughout the course of history, poor people have been malnourished and underweight and rich people have been overweight.

So True! But it is also happening in other countries such as China. 

allyson2212
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Statistically speaking. Yes. Whole foods are more expensive than processed foods and those that have to make their dollar stretch farther tend to buy more processed foods. It really is as simple as that.

They are more expensive. However, when we were on foodstamps when my husband was laid off, we didnt HAVE to budget our food bill. We got nearly $1000 a month just for food. When we made nearly 100k a year and were doing very well, we had to budget a lot more. Not everyone who is struggling with money is on foodstamps, but quite a few are, and budgeting for food isnt a factor in their households.

.kk.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Quoting JTNMD711:

Quoting .kk.:

So True! But it is also happening in other countries such as China. 

Well yeah, now that they are adopting American eating habits and lifestyles! LOL! Ugh.

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I think it's a good mix of both. We don't have a lot of money to spend, but that doesn't stop me from  A) working out and B) buy 'better' foods

allyson2212
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Quoting .kk.:

Very true. Although I would consider both of those options to be unhealthy and out of shape, lol.

kidlover2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

eh.... We struggle to pay the bills and cannot afford an overpriced gym, so my kids and I just jam to the radio and run around in the backyard and take bike rides. Only in America do people think they need to be inside following a strict regime in order to "stay in shape"

On a side note, maybe the lack of good food is an issue, but poor people also tend to work longer hours in order to pay the bills, so they don't have as much free time  to work out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)