Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Isn’t Greenland Considered a Continent Like Australia and What Does Greenland Mean In Kalaallisut?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

Geographers have decided that Greenland is too small to be called a continent. Australia is three and a half times larger than Greenland. Greenland is physiographically part of the continent of North America, and is an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark. Greenland is the world’s largest island that is not a continent by area, and is the least densely populated country in the world with a population of about 56,452 in 2010. According to the Icelandic sagas, the Norwegian-born explorer Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. Greenland means “Land of the Kalaallit people” in the Kalaallisut language.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mama07Shorty
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I was bored and was looking up random stuff and found this and just though heck why not share it with all of you! lol

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Uh . . . thanks?

onethentwins
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM

So which continent is it in?

What about Iceland?

Mommavieve
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM
Hmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM

There are only 6 continents North America, South America, Australia, Antartica, Africa and Eurasia

Mama07Shorty
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Quoting onethentwins:

So which continent is it in?

What about Iceland?

I still don't know lol

and thats a good question

Mama07Shorty
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

There are only 6 continents North America, South America, Australia, Antartica, Africa and Eurasia

According to the CIA World Factbook, depending on the convention used, there are five to seven continents. The convention that states there are seven continents recognises them as:
  • Africa
  • North America
  • South America
  • Asia
  • Australia (sometimes referred to as Oceania, but not by inhabitants of the region)
  • Antarctica
  • Europe

Some conventions consider Europe and Asia to be one continent, and some consider North and South America to be a single continent.

what is Eurasia???

kenziewenzie
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM

North America I think

Mama07Shorty
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I looked it up and this is what i found

Historically and culturally Iceland is considered a European / Nordic county, part of Northern Europe . It is a member of the European Economic Area (enjoy free trade with the EU), but it is NOT currently a part of the EU.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)