Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all you cake baking mommas I need your help please

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM
  • 26 Replies

I have a few questions with cake fondant. I have to cakes that I am making that is going to be covered with fondant. This is the first time my husband and I will make a cake with fondant. Well I am baking them he is doing the decorations. Anyways. My question is this.

I bought white fondant. So I could color it the way I want to. Can I us the regular food coloring or do I need to use what the fondant instructions say to use. Also what do I flavor the fondant with and how do I do that. Like I said this is the first time we have every worked with fondant. So I really need help.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Did you buy the fondant in the box?  That stuff is gross, make your own.  It's cheaper and easier to color.  I'll get my recipie for marshmellow fondant for you.

meagan0716
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Yes I bought it in a box. Like I said I have never used the stuff before. But I will take a reciepe

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Did you buy the fondant in the box?  That stuff is gross, make your own.  It's cheaper and easier to color.  I'll get my recipie for marshmellow fondant for you.

fireflymcl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM

The premade kind (wilton) can be very difficult to color. It tastes terible. Homemade is easy to make and tastes much better. There are a ton of easy recipes on allrecipes.com.

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM
You will need a bag of marshmallows and 2 bags of powdered sugar and crisco. Get a big microwave safe bowl and put the marshmallows in it with enough water to moisten them. Cook at medium temp for 30 seconds at a time until they are all melted. Dump half the powdered sugar over the marshmallows. Let it cool just enough that you don't burn yourself but not too much because it is hard to work with when it gets too cold. Cover your hands in crisco and start working it all together like you would bread dough. Keep adding the rest of the powdered sugar until it is all worked in. You may need to add about a cup from the second bag. It is hit or miss this that stuff. Put it in a huge ziplock bag and put it in the fridge for at least a day or two. The longer it is in the smoother it looks. When you are ready to work with it cut off about a soup bowl sized amount at a time and put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds to make it soft again. Dust powdered sugar wherever you are going to roll it out. Make sure you pick it up and keep adding powdered sugar under it or it will stuck to the table. Oh yeah, if you are going to color it make sure you do that while you are making it. It is very hard to add food coloring after it is formed. Hope this helps! Good luck!
twocutetwins09
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM
Wilton fondant tastes horrible. You must color any fondant with gel food coloring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meagan0716
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Thank you ladies

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

bump

maybaby08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Definitely use gel coloring. I prefer Americolors but Wilton makes gel colors also. To flavor just need a little bit of extract into premade fondant or add flavoring at the beginning stages of homemade.

NickiNavarro
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Here's a bump, I make my own

NADA2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Wilton's fondant is horrible and flavorless...I started using it and ended up googling how to make fondant and the recipe used marshallows...much more tastier.  Google "How to Make Fondant" and I think allrecipes.com will have one.  Good luck with cake!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)