Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apparently it has been my week to be a meddler..LOL LOL LOL

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

Yesterday....I meddled on a teenage girl's fb page whose mother is my friend because her new driver's license was posted in full. I advised her nicely to take it off.  It has yet to come  down, so I will tell her mom tonight....I really could care less if the girl gets mad. 

Today I am at the bus stop.  You can see the bus stop from our house but it is a good block, block and a half.  I go down there because my son's backpack is as big as he is, and has wheels etc.  The bus driver asked me to be there to help him get it up and down the steps. (my son is very small for his age).  Anyway...the neighbor across the street has a little boy that is in K.  He wants to walk to and from the stop without his parents.  I would let my son and dd if the bus driver had not asked me to be there.

Anyway, the bus comes today and  there is a van at the stop sign waiting for the bus to move.  The little boy goes up to the window and says to the man....."I live down the street. Can you give me a ride"?  The man says uh no buddy I can not do that..  The boy says sure you can..I live right down there.  The man says no I am sorry I can't.

So then I ask the child A...do you know that man?  He said no..I just thought he could give me a ride.  I then said ..that is dangerous..we do not talk to strangers or ask for rides from people we do not know.  I am going to have to tell your grandpa(who was waiting for him up the street) and he will have to tell you mom.  A..says no really I have seen him before (not true according to how he first answered).  I said I am sorry..I care about you and I am going to have to tell them.  I did.  So both the grandpa and the mom were appreciative.  I told them I corrected him, didn't yell or anything just told him it was dangerous.  The mom called me and thanked me and said her son will no longer be able to walk without them.  Even though I am there, I don't know who he knows and doesn't know.  Simply because I happened to hear him...I asked.  Wow!  THAT could have been awful had it been a bad person and me not there!  Thank God I was in the right place at the right time! 

It is times like this I don't mind meddling or getting in people's business or telling another child that is dangerous. I am not saying this for a pat on the back or a cookie...LOL.  But to say.......you know it really does take a village to raise a child. All of us supporting another and caring about each other.  If that had been my child, I would have wanted my neighbor to do the same.  I used it as a teaching moment for my kids as well. 

So I tell this to say.......let's all show we care and "meddle" when it is important and show we care about each other's kids.  I think the man, from the way he handled it was innocent, but there for the grace of God...it could have been a different story!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM

bump

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Make a mental note "This is not a kid that I would allow my child to have on a sleep-over at his house."

Damali0812
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM

agreed. good thing you were there too!

Quoting DissieDothe:

Make a mental note "This is not a kid that I would allow my child to have on a sleep-over at his house."

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Wow.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Thanks.  Yeah.....his  mother was SHOCKED to say the least.  Flabbergasted!  She has taught him better but he is impulsive.  She said his grandfather, father and herself ALL had a good long talk with him today.  She was so upset he did that.  She has no idea what possessed him.  They are good parents but their son is very impulsive apparently.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Oh and he is no longer allowed to walk to the bus stop or from the bus stop. They always waited out front of their house so they could see him but there is no way if someone tried to take a child you could make it from point A to point B where said child was standing in time.  She was upset to tears and could not believe he did that.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM

p.s.  I also was able to talk with said teenager's mom this morning and she said she'd make sure the driver's license photo was taken down.  She said her daughter hasn't been online in days (which is true according to her fb activity) and probably didn't know it was there. She is also going to tell her dd you don't let ANYONE take a photo of your driver's license.  I never would have thought to tell my teenager that either, if I had a teenager..LOL. Never would have crossed my mind someone would take photos of your drivers license..LOL

TarotMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM
He needs to watch the Safe Side Super Chick. She's a character on a wonderful DVD for children to learn Child Safety. It explains a stranger much better than what parents and educaters told in the past. It also teaches about bounderies. It's called The Safe Side-Stranger Safety created by John Walsh ( America's Most Wanted ) and Julie Clark ( created Little Einsteins ).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM

I have heard about that dvd.  I may check it out myself.  Because I have taught my kids as well.  However, I have friendly, sociable kids and you can never educate too much.

katiegirl
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:41 AM
Wow scary the kid just asked a stranger for a ride! And his mom has already told him. Going to remind Trinity on the way to school. Yikes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)