Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So mad. There will be cursing

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/somers-point-woman-pleads-guilty-to-killing-teen-in-drunken/article_7dd04dfa-4443-11e0-8e7b-001cc4c03286.html

MAYS LANDING — A Somers Point woman whose first-degree vehicular homicide conviction was overturned last year pleaded guilty Tuesday under an agreement that will send her back to prison later this month.

Paula Cicchinelli, 61, admitted to second-degree vehicular homicide in the death of Nickolas Marvel, 18, who was fatally struck Nov. 16, 2004, as he walked along Route 9 in Linwood with some friends after 9 p.m.

Cicchinelli faces six years on that charge under the plea agreement, which requires her to serve at least 85 percent of the sentence. She also admitted to leaving the scene of a fatal crash, which could add four years to any term, although there is no minimum prison time on that charge.

“I left the scene of an accident not knowing there was an accident,” Cicchinelli told Superior Court Judge Michael Donio. “It was dark. I did not know that there was an accident.”

But, as part of the agreement, Cicchinelli had to admit she knowingly left the scene, and — under questioning by defense attorney Lou Barbone — acknowledged she knew there had been some sort of impact with her car.

At her trial, Cicchinelli claimed she believed something had been thrown at her car and that was what cracked her windshield.

The woman who was criticized at trial for showing no emotion wept as she admitted to causing Marvel’s death.

Cicchinelli explained outside the courtroom Tuesday that she knew people questioned why she seemed cold, but she said she grew up in a military family where “you’re not supposed to show emotion in the way that I am now.”

She said she has wanted to apologize to Marvel’s mother, Donnah, but had been advised against it by counsel.

“I wanted to tell her how sorry I am that she no longer has her son,” Cicchinelli told a reporter, wiping tears shortly after accepting the plea agreement. “I can’t imagine how much she’s been suffering. I know how much agony she must have been in.”

In addition to admitting to the two charges, Cicchinelli also acknowledged in court that she drank wine with friends before driving home that night.

At first, she was hesitant to connect the drinking to the crash.

”It may have impaired my ability,” she told Donio.

But the judge said she needed to acknowledge that it did impair her ability for the plea to move forward.

“Did your consumption contribute to your driving of that vehicle that night at that time?” Donio asked.

“Yes,” she replied.

Cicchinelli had served nearly two years and nine months in prison when an appellate panel granted her a new trial, finding that certain evidence allowed at her 2007 trial may have prejudiced the jury. With time served, she will be imprisoned for at least 2½ more years, if sentenced to the full six-year term on vehicular homicide. The four-year consecutive sentence does not require a minimum.

Cicchinelli’s friend, Vivian Devoe, asked outside the courtroom whether justice had been served. She said the crash was a horrible accident and that Cicchinelli’s previously spotless record should have been considered.

The plea agreement also calls for Cicchinelli to lose her driver’s license for 10 years and to undergo three years’ parole supervision upon her release.

Sentencing is scheduled for March 22.

This fucking bitch. She killed my friend while drunk driving. And theyre only giving her a max of 10 years? Nikk will never get to have a family...get married...none of that. But this bitch gets a fuckin plea deal? Did nikk get one while he was laying on the fuckin side of the road bleeding out? No he fuckin didnt. he had to lie ther and fuckin suffer...his friend had to watch his best friend die IN HIS FUCKIN ARMS.

FUCK HER

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rocker_mommy_08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM

BUMP!

southernjess3
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM

our fucking government rocks, doesnt it.........effing assholes.....

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

That's crazy.

lilydoyle
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:52 PM

i understand your side, but how long must a person suffer for an accident? when you get a ticket or hit another car, does the government or insurance agency charge you forever? How do you know how much that woman is punishing herself? What right do you have to judge that woman? Do you know both sides? Did she MEAN to kill Nick? Was she PAID to kill Nick? Obviously not. If you did something to accidentally hurt another person physically, should YOU spend life in prison with serial killers?

his1mama
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I'm so sorry! What a terribly sad thing to happen. She should not have received a new trial or a plea deal. She hit a person with her car and drove away. I hope karma bitch-slaps her.

his1mama
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM

She wouldn't be surrounded by serial killers, that is just an ignorant thing for you to say. And I think if this man had been someone you cared about, you wouldn't be so quick to minimalize what she did. Hopefully you never have to know the pain the OP has.

Quoting lilydoyle:

i understand your side, but how long must a person suffer for an accident? when you get a ticket or hit another car, does the government or insurance agency charge you forever? How do you know how much that woman is punishing herself? What right do you have to judge that woman? Do you know both sides? Did she MEAN to kill Nick? Was she PAID to kill Nick? Obviously not. If you did something to accidentally hurt another person physically, should YOU spend life in prison with serial killers?

Jsmommy0528
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:58 PM

It is completely understandable that you are upset, however it was an accident and she didnt even know anyone was hurt.

Quoting lilydoyle:

1likeme
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I am sorry for the loss of your friend and I hope some day you make peace with all that has happened in this situation. 

rocker_mommy_08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I am good friends with his mom. This bitch told the cops she thought she hit a football. She hit Nikk with such force, she threw him 200feet and he hit a road sign. When hehit the road sign, it made him brain damaged. Nikk wasnt a tiny guy. he was over 6' tall and 200lbs. She killed a wonderful guy who was finally starting to get his life together. So do I think she should sepnd the rest of her life with serial killers...? No...they have protective custody for a reason. She took the life of an 18 yaer old who had his whole life ahead of him. Why should she get to live her life when Nikk never will? Fuck her.

Nikk was the first guy I ever completly loved...so maybe im a little biased. Bitch was drunk when she hit him then went home and went to sleep on the couch where the cops found her around 1am and her BAC was above the legal limit...so imagine how high that shit was 4hrs before

Quoting lilydoyle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)