Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puppy Help! He is MEAN!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

So some idiot breed there pit bull and bull dog and got puppies. They gave them away free. (i say idiot because they dont care and when i offered to get her animals fixed since im a vet tech she said no she likes having litters because she cant have kids) She said she did not want money for them just liked having the little babies running around

Anyways so of course me already rescuingg great danes and loving animals and being a vet tech i took in her remaining puppy(people see pit and assume it can be fought thats something people due out here)

So i bring him home and he is MEAN!! I understand being in a new place but If my 2 year old walks past him he growls and lunges. I tried to grab him to take him potty(he is shy and wont come to me) he growled and bit me many times. I picked him up and he is just going crazy. Peeing and biting and attacking me. But i could not put him down because i did not want him to go hide under the bed where i could not catch him and have him crap.

I put him in the backyard and he stood next to me just terrified. He is great with my 16 week old puppy but hates humans.

Im keeping him until he is big enough to get neutered and has all his shots and then ill be rehoming him(never planned to keep him but if i can neuter one dog and get shots i think he already has a better start to life) but my issue is how to deal with him. he is downright mean the hair on his neck goes up and his tail goes up so its not so much being scared since most dogs have fight or flight. Usually they run but fight if they have to. I will NOT allow him to get my kids so if he gets worse he will have to go but he is a puppy so he needs to be given a chance but how much of a chance do you give to a bully breed dog? I do NOT blame the breed or think pits need to be killed or banned i think people need to grow up and do right by there pets. But at 8 weeks he is attacking... What to do? ideas anyone?

I hope noone is rude Im honestly helping out the dog. I hate people who give away pets for free to just anyone At least check out the home before. or get vet references something to know some dumb kid wont fight the dog or just breed over and over.

I understand being scared but he is not acting scared. He is under the bed and even if he sees my daughter playing in the other room he will growl and bark. And he is NOT playing.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM

by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Im not sure mama, so I'll just bump it for you! :)

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM

He has learned this behavior from the mother/siblings at the breeder's house.  He will have to be taught how to interact with humans.  He will need to be socialized with PEOPLE.  Seems like he does fine with other dogs - which is good!  And if he sees your other pup behaving normally - he may follow.  My advice is to give him time and buy some training treats.  When he comes to you to get the treat - praise him and give him one.  When he goes out and goes potty - praise him and give him one.  Let your children each give him some and interact with him.  If he is only 8 weeks -sounds like  he has not had much HUMAN contact and is afraid of you.  And little ones are closer to his size - so he is intimidated by them ergo the growling and barking.  Fear based aggression.  But he can be trained.  He's young.  Get some treats - be firm - and let him know who the alpha is.  He will understand.  Time and training is my advice.  Good luck 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I strongly encourage you to give this dog to someone who is involved in pittbull rescue, and can handle him, train him, and deal with him.

You're obviously not prepared to do so.

by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM

How old is this dog? It sounds like the pup has had no socialization, has not been handled much and is now adjusting to new things in your home.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM
I have fostered a ton of animals and have had a couple litters of feral dogs (I worked for animal control and couldn't stand the thought of them being put down for being too young so I would bring them home instead). For me, it just took time. He will eventually get used to your routine and begin to understand what is expected of him. Of course, I trained and disciplined as well, but I think they just need time to get used to a new environment. I recently got 2 feral barn cats from someone and they were completely WILD. It took a couple days of them hiding, but eventually they got used to all of us and now they are very sweet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM

He is young I would train him and teach him what he can and cant do. You could take him to puppy traning classes it should help.

by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM

You should have his eyes and ears checked. Some breeders will give away blind deaf puppies. These are two traits that cause a puppy to become aggressive.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Thanks I have a trainer lined up for him but Im on the fence of keeping him in my house. Since The other puppy is mine and wont be leaving I dont want him teaching my puppy these behaviors. My puppy has already put him in his place a few times. He seems to respect my puppy just not us. Im on the fence with keeping him in my house with kids tohugh. puppy or not.

I have a friend who owns 2 pits and one just passed his training to be a therapy dog so she has offered to train him and possibly take him so we will see i guess

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Sounds like he might have been picked on by the other pups. Is he mostly aggressive when someone makes a move for him? Goes to pet him, take him potty, etc? Start slowly, get him alone in a room with you, bring a book or your laptop, and sit on the floor. Do your thing, just being quiet and in the room with you. Don't react when he comes to investigate, unless he initiates. If he's just sniffing, just let him sniff. If he seems more interested, talk quietly to him, very slowly move to let him check out your hand. You get the idea :)

Try kennel training him as well, if he feels threatened at all, the kennel can become his "safe" zone. Don't let your kids or other pets in his kennel, and he'll feel like he has a quiet place to get away to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)