Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

F**** Turbo Tax! Need advice UPDATE #2

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:58 PM
  • 90 Replies

OMG... I am REELING right now.  We filed our taxes separately this year because of my work situation.  I was laid off for most of the year last year, and claiming our house and my daughter's daycare on just my income was going to give us a larger return. 

Or so I thought.

My return was delayed by the IRS due to "processing delays".  Ok, fine, whatever.  I go to the IRS website today to see if my return was still going to go in this Friday, and lo and behold, they took out a THOUSAND DOLLARS from my return.  I called to find out why, and they told me that because I was filling Married - Seperate, I'm not eligible for the child tax credit.

Yet Turbo Tax NEVER gave me a prompt saying this.  I filed my taxes and they told me I was going to get this full amount back.  It took the IRS to say I'm not eligible for the child tax credit??  WHY didn't Turbo Tax catch this beforehand???  I thought they were supposed to be caught up with the "rules" of what you do and don't qualify for??  If I had known this from the beginning we wouldn't have filed separately!!  And to boot, I paid them $100 to file my taxes.

So I paid them to fuck me over.

I'm waiting on a call back from a supervisor at Turbo Tax, but I need some help.  Do I have a right to this money from Turbo Tax, because they didn't catch it??  WWYD?

***After FINALLY getting in touch with someone (long story, I had to follow up MYSELF), a manager sent me a free disk so I can amend my taxes and file jointly with my husband since he hasn't filed yet.  I guess once you have the software, it's free to re-file, so it's not costing me anything.  Since the IRS "technically" (I use that term LOOSLEY) owes me money, I am free to go ahead and spend the money I'm getting.  I've just spent the last hour on the phone with them and have such a headache, I didn't even bother trying to get a refund on the money I paid to file.

I guess this was a pretty big mistake on their part, because the manager was doing everything he could to notify everyone he knew of this supposed "glitch" in their program.  Whatever.. now I get to amend my taxes and MAIL them in.  Hoo-ray *eyeroll*

And I STILL don't know if this is the Child Tax Credit or EIC that the IRS is saying I'm not getting. 

I called Turbo Tax and they sent us a free CD to amend our taxes.  Granted, we have to mail them in, but still..... we did our taxes today and we're getting an additional $2k from federal and another $1k from state.  I guess it was stupid to file separately, because we're getting even more money back!  Woot!!!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rachie7987
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM
Bump! No clue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reese.Cup
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM

BUMP!

Reese.Cup
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM

BUMP!

LiesLiesLies
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM
How much did you earn? It doesn't phase out until $55,000.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
genniems
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

IDK sounds like a bit of a mess... bump

LiesLiesLies
But no I don't think Turbo Tax should give you the $1,000...I do think you should get your money back though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.I.A...P.O.W

More than likely you are going end up being told you are not entitled to that money. Sorry.

dmez
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChAoTic_BliSs
I doubt it. You do realize that those workers are regular people who just took a course for a few wks? They are not CPA's. You almost essentially tried to scam the IRS by filing as you did and they caught it. Your fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gamom36
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Did you look at the laws on filing married seperate? I've never done that so not sure how they do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)