Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't do that .. it's YOUR responsibility..

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son had a dentist appointment tonight. He had two cavities filled. The cavities were in between his teeth ... meaning they showed up from a lack of flossing.

The dental hygienist cleaned his teeth. She told him to go pick out a prize from the toy chest while we discussed how important it is that he flosses. When he walked back into the room I asked her to tell him how important it is to floss when we brush.

She said to me she doesn't 'like' to talk to kids about that - because it's not her business and it's the parents responsibility to make sure he flosses and explain to him why its so important.

Uhmm... Ok.. Naturally I KNOW it's my responsibility - He's MY child, but a little extra encouragement wouldn't hurt.

But she didn't have an issue giving him a tooth brush and telling him.. "Make sure you brush every morning before school and every night before you go to sleep" - What's the difference?

Anyway, after the DENTIST got done with him... They made a 'deal' (handshake and all) That he will let me floss his teeth 4 days a week he went on to explain that even though it takes a little longer - That's how we keep our teeth strong and avoid cavities.

[Really, was that soo difficult?]

I LOVE his dentist and the rest of the girls in there!

BTW - He's 5 and always in a hurry ..

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

My guess she feelsa if she says something wrong you kid wont want to come back.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

That is odd. All I can think is that other parents maybe bitched about the dentist trying to encourage flossing? Ya never know. lol

MamaJane
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:26 PM

It always helps to have someone else tell them.  Mom telling them doesn't mean anything.

AllAboutYou1223
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM

That could have been it ... I guess? Lol - I thought it was  ridlicious. It's not like I asked her to chastise him .. just a quick chat.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

My guess she feelsa if she says something wrong you kid wont want to come back.

.kk.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

How strange.

AllAboutYou1223

Exactly! It's like a big joke when I tell him .... He's such a little smartie pants already - my teeth are already cleaaaaaaaaaaaan ::whiney voice:: SMELL MY BREATH!! LOL

Now I'm going to say.. Remember your deal you made?? You even shook hands!! :D

Quoting MamaJane:

It always helps to have someone else tell them.  Mom telling them doesn't mean anything.

RLSMOM59

You should have a talk with the dentist and ask if the hygenist is suppose to say that too. She may not over step her duties.

Ashmom614
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Weird
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllAboutYou1223
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:34 PM

LOL I forgot to add that I'm still supposed to be brushing his teeth - That the dr recommends till he's 8 but her son is 11 and she still brushes his........... Uhhh??

I supervise - He has a spin brush and I make sure he gets all areas... but I DO give him his independence..

Sirenabella
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Weird. Our dentist talks to my son like it's normal for him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)