Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help!!! Have a question about traveling with a toddler!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM
  • 41 Replies

I have to travel in about three weeks for work to Boise. I have never traveled this far with ds, and had a few questions about the airplane..

Do toddlers have to travel in a car seat?

Do airports let you carry on your car seat, or how do you take it?

Do rental cars provide car seats?

Also if anyone lives in the Boise area is there anything fun to do around there for a toddler? I saw the Boise Zoo is close to where we are staying.

Thank you!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JESSICA97140
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM

BUMP!

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I have never seen a rental car company provide a car seat.

I would bring my baby on the plane, and have the carseat put in the luggage area while I held my baby on my lap while flying. That's what others do on my flights.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

No they don't have to travel in a car seat. They have to sit in their own seat with seatbelt if they are two and older. You can take a car seat, but most are not small enough to fit in the seats or TSA approved. You can check your carseat. I'm not sure if rental places rent car seats, but I'm not sure I'd trust that it hadn't been in an accident already. I don't live near Boise, so I can't help with that one.

CafeMom Tickersboy kissing momst. patricks day

Forget-me-not
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM
You do not need to fly in a carseat but you should take one, you should never, never use a carseat rental. You'd check your carseat with your luggage, it's free and does not count as a bag.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krista778
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I jusgt traveled cross country with my dd on a plane. I just put her in her own seat with the buckle, no car seat. And Hertz car rental rented me a car seat, was an option when I put the reservation in online.

LizJones1229
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM

My only advice would be you could call up the airport/airline and ask them how they suggest traveling with a carseat and if they need it to travel, sometimes you can find it online threw the airline. Some just let you check it in kinda like baggage. but each airline is different. Hope you find you answer and hope your trip goes smoothly. We flew with 2 small children last year and it was the longest flight ever! LOL

MisfitInTN
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

if they are not 40lbs yes they have to travel in an airplane approved car seat. Airplanes will let you take the seat on the plane if he is using it otherwise it has to be checked. Some rental places have car seats to rent but most are expired seats that are no good. I would never let my child ride in a used car seat dont know where its been.

JESSICA97140
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Is there an extra charge to put your car seat wit the luggage?

Quoting romanceparty4u:

I have never seen a rental car company provide a car seat.

I would bring my baby on the plane, and have the carseat put in the luggage area while I held my baby on my lap while flying. That's what others do on my flights.

Sharron_
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Since when do they need to fly in a carseat if they are under 40lbs?.  

Quoting MisfitInTN:

if they are not 40lbs yes they have to travel in an airplane approved car seat. Airplanes will let you take the seat on the plane if he is using it otherwise it has to be checked. Some rental places have car seats to rent but most are expired seats that are no good. I would never let my child ride in a used car seat dont know where its been.

JESSICA97140
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Thank you for your response.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

No they don't have to travel in a car seat. They have to sit in their own seat with seatbelt if they are two and older. You can take a car seat, but most are not small enough to fit in the seats or TSA approved. You can check your carseat. I'm not sure if rental places rent car seats, but I'm not sure I'd trust that it hadn't been in an accident already. I don't live near Boise, so I can't help with that one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)