Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

back and forth on breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

My dd is 4 mo. old and breastfed.  When I go to school 2 nights a week, or when I leave the house without her, my husband gives her a formula bottle...or sometimes I give my tatas a rest and give her a bottle.  Well, now I am afraid my supply is dwindling.  When I nurse her, she grunts a lot and pulls on and off.  It hurts when she does that... nipples only strech so far, lol!!  Anyway, after about 15 mins. of this, here lately I will just give her a small bottle to top her off.  I know that if I want to up my supply this is the worst thing I can do, but I cant let my child go hungry!  Sometimes I really want to just switch her over to bottles... I hate to say it but its just easier.  Not that I dont want to take time out of my day to feed my child, I dont mind that.  But I have another child I have to care for too.  My life can not stop to breastfeed everytime she is hungry, thats when bottles are a real relief!  I dont know what to do.  I have the mommy guilt when I think about stopping bfing, part of me really wants to continue for 6 mo. to a year old... and another part of me wants to just switch her... any advice?? 

How can I up my supply enough to keep her satisfied, and also pump enough bottles for her to have while I am gone?  Ever heard of women who cant pump well??  Well, a month ago my bm alone kept her satisfied, but when I pumped after a missed feeding, I could only pump about 2.5 oz. and she can easily eat 5-6.  I know she gets more milk than my pump can draw out...maybe a hospital grade pump would solve that.... I really dont know, I havent breastfed a child in over 6 years... Im learning everything over again!  Help me out cafe mommas!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllieMad
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Most women can't pump well.  I can hook myself up and pump till my nips fall off and get an ounce total.

I don't have any advice for you, as I stay at home and nurse on demand.  But I can tell you that your body goes through a natural drop in supply (it is hormonal) around 4 months and if you don't have the baby on the breast enough your supply will suffer.  I know the answer is to have the baby on the breast as much as possible.  But unfortunately that isn't always feasible.  Life happens, as we all know.  Formula and bottles are absolutely the issue, though.  But you knew that.

If you switch her over, don't feel bad.  4 months is great!  You did a phenominal job!  I would continue to nurse for as long as you can, as much as you can.  And if your supply dries up, you can rest easy that you did what you could.  HUGS!

ohmsgrace05
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Quoting AllieMad:

Most women can't pump well.  I can hook myself up and pump till my nips fall off and get an ounce total.

I don't have any advice for you, as I stay at home and nurse on demand.  But I can tell you that your body goes through a natural drop in supply (it is hormonal) around 4 months and if you don't have the baby on the breast enough your supply will suffer.  I know the answer is to have the baby on the breast as much as possible.  But unfortunately that isn't always feasible.  Life happens, as we all know.  Formula and bottles are absolutely the issue, though.  But you knew that.

If you switch her over, don't feel bad.  4 months is great!  You did a phenominal job!  I would continue to nurse for as long as you can, as much as you can.  And if your supply dries up, you can rest easy that you did what you could.  HUGS!

You are so sweet... thanks!  Encouraging words make a huge difference!  I had no idea your supply naturally stops.  I know the bottles are just causing a vicious cycle, only making my problem worse.  I got a few tips on another post that I am going to try and hopefully we can get back to a good nursing relationship, I would be sooooo proud of myself if I could nurse her for 12 months, that is my goal.  Its just nice to hear someone say "dont throw in the towel yet!" 

mybabygirlkris
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM
I'm really not sure about this so here's a bump. I only got to BF my dd for 6 weeks then I had to go back working 2 jobs. :( Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Mine never latched but I have always given her pumped breastmilk.

MixedCooke
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM

FENUGREEK will increase your supply!

.Sugaree.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Just NURSE all the time!! She will build your supply up to where she needs it. Nurse when she wants for as long as she wants. Having a bee or two per day will really help and fenugreek helps too but not as well. Also a breastfed baby shouldn't be taking too much at once, pumping 2.5 oz should be good for one feeding. I always get more when I pimp while my son is eating on the other breast, bc your body responds better to a baby so it's kind of a trick :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickiNavarro
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM

What ever you chose to do is your choice. If she is pulling off is she biting? That is a normal thing to do at that age, kids do it with bottles too. They bite down and pull off. If that is what she is doing, then make a sound or say ouch, to get her attention, and remove her from your breast for a minute, so she associates biting with being removed from the breast. I am unable to pump, and I can't afford a hospital grade pump. I nurse on demand, my son is six months old, and still exclusively breastfed, I also have a 2 year old. Have you tried to extract milk with your hands? If I have to be out, that's what I do, it works for me. Again, if you chose to stop BFing you don't have to feel guilty about it, but make sure you get as much info first, so that you aren't stopping because you are misunderstanding something or not getting the right info.

Laura1427
by ★Honey Badger★ on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Tea, Goat's Rue--all help increase supply. I suggest trying the Fenugreek first. It is pretty inexpensive and easily located at most vitamin shops.

I hope you are able to pump more, but as a PP said, some women just can't get the output needed to sustain :-(

OutNumbered_321
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM
You can choose to partially ween, you dont have to to completely ween just try to breastfeed around the same time everyday so you get her on a schedule so your body knows what it needs to supply when. Gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PUMPKIN1117
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Stop giving bottles. Breastfeed often. She will not starve. Pump any chance you get. When u pump relax and think of feeding your child. Even if u only get a little bit u can combine them to make bottles.just stop the formula. Your milk will increase. I breastfed both my boys. One for two years and the other for over a year and I worked full time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)