Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you get your kids to eat healthy?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  • 30 Replies

I have a hard time getting my kids to eat healthy.  I tried putting vegetables or fruit in their meal or snack but they refused to eat it.  How do you get your kids to eat more vegetables and fruit.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fallaya
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Offer small amounts, and request that they at least try a couple of bites.  I usually put a tablespoon of veggies on my daughter's plate, and she does well if I don't make a huge fuss out of her not wanting it.  I do request she at least try the food, and she does.

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say" Ralph Waldo Emerson
MixedCooke
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

By eating them myself and not offering them other unhealthy options.

Lanie_momofone
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

well...you could only buy those items and only serve those items and refuse to make them something else. If they are hungry enough..they will eat them.

Or ... melted cheese...cheese makes everything taste good :) lol

happymama0609
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I just put it on his plate and put it in front of him and he eats whatever lol! He is only 21 months though so we are not going through the picky stage yet

inspain
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I started at the very beginning.  Eating crap was never an option, now eating well just comes naturally.  Everyone I know, whose kids eat lots of veggies and fruit, started from the beginning.

alyssas-mommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM

a friend of mine would grate or hide them in the food but my kids eat thiers so i dont know

eeyorerdl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I've got to say we got really lucky with that.  Could have something to do with what I ate while pregnant, but my dd has always loved veggies and fruits.  Her absolute fave is and always has been broccoli.  She's 7 now, but when hot dogs and mac & cheese ruled kids' worlds, she'd want fresh steamed broccoli before hot dogs, and still to this day!

Try getting them to eat it by (how old are they??)  One bite or piece for every year of their age?  Or just tell them **for example**.  "6 more bites of carrot and you can be done!"

soon2bemomof307
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Tell them they have to eat it or no snacks or treats.

krista778

I don't "get" her to eat them lol, if she has a choice between fruit or a cookie 99% of the time she'll choose the fruit. We eat mainly fruits and vegetables anyway and have since she was in the womb so she's always been exposed to it and we don't make her eat omething we won't ourselves

kidlover2

Quoting inspain:

I started at the very beginning.  Eating crap was never an option, now eating well just comes naturally.  Everyone I know, whose kids eat lots of veggies and fruit, started from the beginning.

this. My kids eat almost every kind of vegetable because that's what I serve them 2x a day every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)