Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That won't make you sick!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM
  • 1 Replies

I know many people understand that going out without a coat in the cold weather won't make you sick.

However, this thinking, while true in the truest sense, is fallacious. While bacteria and viruses are the true cause of illness, a weakened immune system is what lets these little baddies sneak their way in, and make us feel miserable.

Not wearing a coat, or even a hat or a scarf, forces your body to use resources to maintain your body temperature. In doing this, it weakens your immune system, just like the lack of sleep or poor nutrition. So, yes, indirectly, it CAN aid in you becoming sick.

So, next time someone says not staying warm will make you sick, and you feel the urge to correct them, actually think about it. Oh, and remember to stay warm as the days get slightly cooler, but not warm enough to go coat free.

This has been your nerdy llama PSA of the day.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:41 AM

None of my kids really ever wear coats--sweatshirts, maybe, but not coats.  They don't want to.  My youngest is 8 and I let her ride to school without wearing a coat, even if the mornings are 40 degrees.  I figure it's her body and she can be cold if she wants.

She does take a jacket with her to school because they won't let her out to recess without one.

Oh, and we rarely get sick.  I guess we're just made of hearty stock!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)