Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you okay with genetically modified foods?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM
  • 56 Replies

They are really pushing "Cuties" in my area. Big huge billboards TV commercials. I can't find any info on them to see if the are GM or not, but common sense tells me they are. Is anyone else disturbed by the mass market attempt to sell GM food directly to our kids?

Photobucket
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Not okay with GM foods AT ALL!  That's why I make just about everything we eat and go to the local farmers market for produce and stuff.

Are you talking about the Cuties oranges?  The little clementines?

.kk.
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM

For the most part, I would say not okay.

I see no reason to need genetically modified food in America, people are just lazy and don't want to work hard.

In other countries where they can't grow regular crops, I see the need for genetically modified foods.

The genetically modified corn that we have in the states, for example, has less nutrition and cannot regrow.

joci2203
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM

It's funny you posted this!

I buy them and my husband said to me the other day, "You know these are probably GM right, how do you think they get them small and easy to peel?"  I had never even thought about it until he said that and I am very against GM foods, and extremely cautious about everything we eat.

Pregnancy%20ticker

NickiNavarro
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Quoting beadingmom17:

Not okay with GM foods AT ALL!  That's why I make just about everything we eat and go to the local farmers market for produce and stuff.

Are you talking about the Cuties oranges?  The little clementines?

Yup, I'm a bit suspicious of a little tiny, extra sweet, easy to peel, seedless clementine.

Photobucket
NickiNavarro
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting joci2203:

It's funny you posted this!

I buy them and my husband said to me the other day, "You know these are probably GM right, how do you think they get them small and easy to peel?"  I had never even thought about it until he said that and I am very against GM foods, and extremely cautious about everything we eat.

LOL I am suspicious of anything that needs a commercial, and a patented name! lol Those guys are tricky little fuckers. lol When we saw the commercial my hubby said "Look babe, Monsanto is making oranges for our kids now." lol

Photobucket
.kk.
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Okay wow, I never thought of the fact that they are so easy to peel!

Rowdys.Mommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM
I'm not ok with it at all but pretty much everything is genetically altered nowdays...even the seeds that the farmers buy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rowdys.Mommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM
My dad said that oranges use to have a thin skin instead of the thick ones that we have now and that it's from GM and cOrn use to be a small plant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToriBabe1221
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM
I do not agree with GM foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.kk.
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

My dad said that oranges use to have a thin skin instead of the thick ones that we have now and that it's from GM and cOrn use to be a small plant.

Corn used to be a VERY small plant.

We have been 'modifying' foods for a very long time now, but modifying them in the field is a lot different than a lab-grown plant.

The corn of 40 years ago was modified but perfectly healthy. These days, not so much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN