Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fat Ho Burgers

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

That's right, there is seriously a resturant that just opened up here in Waco named Fat Ho Burgers. I've heard the food is decent, but I wonder, can you get a 3 dollar ho?

Here's the newspaper article

Fat Ho Burgers opens in Waco

By Amy Starnes

Fat Ho Burgers, 11th Street and Ross Avenue, opened to decent crowds and lots of chatter today.

Owner 23-year-old Lakita Evans could be seen working hard in the kitchen to process orders as diners munched on or waited for their 'Hos.' Yes, Evans calls the burgers and sandwiches "Hos."

Evans came under fire from a group of residents outraged at the name of her business. Others found it funny. Read the full Tribune-Herald story here. I blogged about the restaurant's name and impending opening after Trib reporter Michael Shapiro found the new business on a recent drive to work. You can read comments of what many community members had to say here.

Fat Ho's offers a wide variety of food from burgers to chicken sandwiches to ribs, nachos, country fried steak, quesadillas, hot wings and breakfast items like pancakes and eggs.

You can order items like a Supa Fly Ho with Cheese, the Sloppy Ho Brisket or a Fat Chicken Ho. There are even "Tiny Ho Meals," sure to raise parents' eyebrows. The Mexican items are perhaps a nod to three painted mariachi singers who can still be seen on one of the walls from when the restaurant had a different theme.

Ronnie Garrison of Dallas waited for his Ho outside the restaurant. He said he was visiting friends in Waco when he received a flyer about the burger joint. A self-proclaimed food critic, Garrison commented that the prices at Fat Ho's were in line with the current economic situation and the neighborhood.

The vast majority of items are in the $3 to $4 range, with the most expensive item being a half slab of ribs with ranch-style beans and mash for $11. Fat Ho's also offers a $1 menu.

The restaurant will be open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily except Sundays, workers said.

Am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious?

Bethany, A rockin' momma of 2

by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Famousglm714
by Gina on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Lmao! Also, that's a damn good price for ribs...

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM

guess its better to leave those three mariachi guys on the wall than to paint up anyone else up there. lol. wonder if the burgers are worth the drive. hope they have the menu so i can order by number.

ADULT.CONTENT
by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM

LOL I just laughed myself into a coughing fit. I love the name.

.kk.
by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM

oh my.  haha!

midnight_storm
by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Just the name, lol. My first thought though was of a strip club here. There's a huge cow on the sign. I can't tell you how funny I think that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM

people are freaking out about the name and are petitioning to change it. I think its awesome! I can't wait to try the food!

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM

lol. my ds wants to know if waco is in our state. he wants to go eat there so he can be a food critic and tell us if the burgers are good or not.

PoeticMoodz
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Hmmm funny not all all...sad and disappointing absolutely! I have roots in Waco and was born there so I find it disappointing to hear that a young lady was hungry enough to start a business but not classy enough to be called a business woman :-( ...women have come so far as forces of sheer power and unfortunately the choice to name items on the menu and business in such a derogatory way will over shadow who the owner really is and thr food. Those better be aome darn good burgers! However I can honestly say I would never visit...not my style. Hate that once again my hometown has the "ignorant" billboard hangin over it! Thanks for sharing...
CaeliMommyUSMC
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Haha nice!  About an hour south of my hometown, they got a Flavor Flav's Fried Chicken.  Im so taking a road trip to it when I go back to visit.  The best part is he opened it right next door to KFC. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN