Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What My Church Thinks of Muslims

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM
  • 18 Replies

Here is the basic outline of the sermon my pastor preached this morning. I go to a non-denominational church.

Practical Steps to Understanding and Loving our Muslim Neighbors

1. Understand the basics of their beliefs (he then explained to us what those beliefs are)

2. Clear up our own misunderstandings (Muslim does not equal terrorist and Muslims are not our enemy!)

3. Don't ignore them (show hospitality). He also said that if you invite a Muslim to dinner serve things they enjoy and never serve pork because it is offensive to them.

4. After establishing a friendship talk about Jesus! Don't get into debates and don't insult them.

5. Pray for them

God loves Muslims!

He spoke about this because there has been too much confusion and misunderstanding among Christians in this area. He told a story of a trip he took to Turkey and a friendship he struck with a Muslim man. When the man went to the mosque to pray pastor offered to go with him. The man couldn't believe this Christian was wanting to go to a mosque with him, but he did. He prayed too, only he prayed in the name of Jesus (quietly and respectfully). He went back with him two or three times after that before he went back home.

It was a lot longer but this is the basics. I thought it was really good. I just get tired of seeing ignorance amongst some of my fellow Christians in this area.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tharealty2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I'm glad your church is addressing this since it is an issue with churches in your community.  Sad though that grown people,. Christian's no less,. have to be told such simple concepts.  Some people, of other religions and beliefs sets,. need to have the same type of discussions about Christians.

Aubreyjosmama
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Wow! I think you have a good pastor!

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Quoting Katreyden:

I agree that it's important to understand differences, BUT I think I would tread lightly on the "talk about Jesus" - if you're the kind of Christian to be offended by talk about Muhammed (sp?) then don't talk about Jesus. It only seems fair. AND don't talk about Jesus in an, "you wont be saved unless you believe" kind of way. JMO.

What if they ask? Seriously, I will share with anyone what a Christian believes, if they ask.

If they don't want to know, they should not ask.

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Yep I never had a problem with Muslims myself, but I'm glad to hear my pastor speak on it because there are a lot that just don't seem to get it. They take the actions of a group of radicals and apply it to the entire population, which is just wrong. I also agree with the part highlighted in red.

Quoting tharealty2:

I'm glad your church is addressing this since it is an issue with churches in your community.  Sad though that grown people,. Christian's no less,. have to be told such simple concepts.  Some people, of other religions and beliefs sets,. need to have the same type of discussions about Christians.

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM

I believe Jesus was a prophet in the Muslim faith, I could be wrong.  But I definitely agree with don't try to pull the "believe or burn" crap. 

Quoting Katreyden:

I agree that it's important to understand differences, BUT I think I would tread lightly on the "talk about Jesus" - if you're the kind of Christian to be offended by talk about Muhammed (sp?) then don't talk about Jesus. It only seems fair. AND don't talk about Jesus in an, "you wont be saved unless you believe" kind of way. JMO.

Joylynn77
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Quoting Katreyden:

What if they ask? Seriously, I will share with anyone what a Christian believes, if they ask.

If they don't want to know, they should not ask.

Chances are, they already know a lot more than you might expect!

catholicmamamia

Lovely post.. thank you for sharing! 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

alicia.bear
Your pastor sounds awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spcjones203
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Sorry, I like the Pagan approach to dealing with Muslims better...

1) Invite them over for dinner.

2) Serve foods everyone is comfortable with.

3) DON'T talk about religion, instead play a board game.

4) STILL don't talk about religion, gossip about celebrities.

5) And finally, STILL don't talk about religion, because can't you just be friends without religion being part of it?

Come join us at Fanfiction Writers UNITED!

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:37 AM

He really is! I love my church!

Quoting alicia.bear:

Your pastor sounds awesome

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)