Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to talk to young boys about....well, their penis.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:01 AM
  • 6 Replies
Tonight while my ods was taking a bath, he was washing himself, like always, and he kinda giggled and said "hee hee it tickles when I rub my peepee!".............he is 5. I was kinda caught off guard so I ignored him and he didn't bring it up again. What the hell do I say to that?!!? Do I say anything at all? Do I just keep ignoring it if he says something again? I asked dh but he said he didn't know how or if to say anything since his parents never had any kind of talk with him. I know we are not ready to have "the talk" (about sex) with him yet, so should we ignore this until that talk? I'm so confused! Please help, any advice or your experiences would help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
livyla
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:05 AM

When they start asking and talking about it  i start answering and responding.  No do not ignore it until you have the "talk"  Its fine if it tickles, that is prefectly normal "just tickle in private"

whisper36
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Just wash the winkie and stop tickling it..

brandi2781
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM

I always just replied Ok and went on about my business. Sometimes I would have the good touch, bad touch talk again with him just to make sure he remembers it, but other than that I dont make a big deal about it.

NikLvsNick
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:08 AM

My son is 5 and he knows what he has versus what a girl has. He doesn't know what it's for but I try to tell both him and my daughter (who is 6) anything they want to know if they ask. I do keep it age appropriate with them.

Only thing I can really say is to be honest with him. If you try and hold back he may think it's something bad and that he shouldn't feel that way.

blondie.mom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

thanks, i was just so shocked. hes my baby! i guess hes starting to grow up more then im ready for.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

He's only 5 so he doesn't need alot of information nor does it need to be detailed.

IMHO, just skipping over it was fine.

When my eldest was young around 3-5 he used to get erections..(it happens to boys..totally normal)..and used to whine that it hurt, and say he didn't like getting them. (lol.."NOW you don't want them" I used to think). When he get them he'd pull and tug and rub, so I'd have to tell him to leave his penis alone and it'd go away.

When he wa sabout 3-4 he asked where babies came from. I told him mom and dad's love and God decides if it's a boy or a girl. He was fine with that.

My younger son, when he was about 4, he thought he had "2 penises". (lol) I asked 'where's your 2nd penis?'...he lifted his penis and said "here mommy" I said "oh honey..those are your testicles" he said "my tessicles? what are those?" I said "well you'll need them when you're a man but God gives them to you now so you don't have to grow them later"...

I SO love telling those stories.

They key is to remember they're little they don't need great detail, so a basic simple answer is best. If it's not good enough they'll ask more quesions. And also, remember not to get flustered. You want them to come to you when they're older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)