Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Updated Monday: Am I overreacting or does a 103 fever..called again..

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:22 AM
  • 34 Replies

...after surgery not call for an ER visit?

Im thinking about taking DS to a different ER. I made a post earlier about having his tonsils removed Friday. He was fine, almost back to normal on Friday and Saturday. But this morning, well, afternoon. He went to bed around 9pm, as usual, but didnt wake up till noon. And even then I made him wake up & his fever was at 101.

So I called the hospital and spoke with the ENT on call and he called me back & said to alternate tylenol and motrin. So I have been. But he has only ate 1/2 slice of bread and hasnt even drank a full cup of water. His temp now is 103. I called the ENT again and he said to keep on switching the Tylenol/Motrin and that its probably just the pain finally hitting him.

Seriously? Am I over reacting here? He wont let me look in his mouth, he said it hurts too much. So Idk if its infected or not. But the fact that he has a fever and refuses to eat or drink has me worried. :(

CALLED AGAIN, because his fever is now 104. They said the risk of infection is very unlikely. They said that if I brought him in they'd probably just give him Tylenol until his fever went down and then they'd send him home. Maybe a chest xray just to make sure he doesnt have a lung infection but since he's not coughing anything up that doesnt seem likely. I just hate not being able to help him when he is in so much pain. He's sleeping next to me and shivering. :(

FINAL UPDATE (Hopefully!) So about 30 mins after I posted this his temp FINALLY started going down. I was getting ready to take him in reguardless of what the ENT on call had to say. I took his temp one more time cause I knew they'd ask what it was when we left the house and it was down to 102.8. THANK GOD! Then not even 30 mins after that, the fever was completely gone!

He still isnt eating or drinking as much today. But it was tons better than yesterday & he was in a lot better mood! :)

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Id take him in. With that high of a temp and not eating or drinking dehydration is a big issue.

msparks80
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM
I would take him in. Hope he feels better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rockabilly_ma13
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM
For q child 103 is okay political some cool rags on his pressure points and a cool bath or shower might help keep doing the fever reducers. Not earring okay bit has to drink
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM
I would get him to the ER asap. A fever after surgery is NOT good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CocoBeen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM
Autocorrect fail?

Quoting Rockabilly_ma13:

For q child 103 is okay political some cool rags on his pressure points and a cool bath or shower might help keep doing the fever reducers. Not earring okay bit has to drink
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandi2781
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Could be that he picked up a virus also while he was in hospital for surgery. I have always heard a fever after surgery isnt good. Just trust your mommy instinct, that is one feeling that I always listen too!!

tmarland04

I have always been told after any surgery a fever over 101 is bad and you should seek medical attention asap. I have had a lot of surgeries. Also even after my kids ear tubes (which is about as minor as it gets) they even told me if they develop a fever over a 101 take them to the ER.

lovinmykiddo07

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Id take him in. With that high of a temp and not eating or drinking dehydration is a big issue.

Thats what I'm sayin! I just got him to take some pedialyte (sp). He only took a couple sips and I pretty much had to force him to drink it.

serjil

If pain causes fevers, I would have a fever 24/7. Whoever you are talking to doesn't sound too professional. Definitely get another opinion. 

mamakenzi

No, any fever after surgery is never good.  Especially since he isn't drinking.  I would take him in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)