Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military and Federal government famlies. What are you gonna do if.. ( Added a link to a glimmer of hope)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:14 AM
  • 22 Replies

I was just speaking with a friend and her hubby got the dreaded email. It said that it looks like the budget won't get passed, and they won't be granting any extenstions. If this happens the last pay check we will recieve is our April 1st pay. I am just curious what your family is gonna do to cope?

I am not sure what we will be doing. We live 6 miles from base and my hubbies bicycle is broke. Obviously if this happens we won't be able to afford gas. I do buy food in bulk so we should be good for a little while.

Here is glimmer of hope I found

http://www.military.com/news/article/report-troops-may-miss-paychecks-in-a-shutdown.html

Leah Gillis, 
9 years as an Air Force wife and loving it.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffnTravsMommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM

I truly doubt that the military and goverment employees will stop getting paid. They said the same thing about California employees several years back, and that never happened. They will pull money from somewhere.......do you know how many people would NOT be getting paid? The US economy is making a slow recovery, not paying all those employees would kill the US economy......just my opinion :-) I hope Im right and it all works out!

spamica
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM

My dh's boss said that they were safe and when it happened the last time it didn't affect them. 

SThompson21
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:29 AM

we have money in savings plus im working as well. i guess im hoping for the best

spamica
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:30 AM
But to answer your question I don't know what we would do. Hopefully, we would get our tax return before then. Worst case, we live off of our parents,which would be awful.
MisfitInTN
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:31 AM

its called savings but i doubt they will not pay the military families

billsfan1104
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:32 AM
My sisters husband is deployed. They have saved their tax refund to pay bills and they have enough to pay bills. She said they won't visit us for Easter if that happens. I am praying it doesn't happen because that would be fucked up not to pay our military.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kasonsmommy1114
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:32 AM
I would be f*cked...dont know what im gonna do if i dont get paid. we are already living pay check to pay check as it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M0M0F03
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM

A couple years ago Pennsylvania didn't pass their budget and we didn't get paid for weeks. We had enough money saved up to live off of, when they pay you, you will get back pay. We were almost going to have to live off of a credit card when my husband finally got all his pay. Then they hammer you with taxes because you got such a large check. You can get food assistance during that time to help, if it comes to it. We did for one month.

aydansmomma04
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Luckily my husband's work has money in savings that they will use to pay there employees. He works for the Government. So we will still get payed in April.

.sp4rkl3z.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM
If the Marines don't get paid my s/o won't get paid, because he tattoos them and we live on his income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)