Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son, his lovey, and his teeth... please help!!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM
  • 9 Replies
My son has this crane toy machine zebra that he has been sleeping with since he was about 9 months old. It had stuffed eyes that stuck out and he used them when he was teething (he would bite and suck on the eyes, super gross!!). Well, he bit a hole in one of the eyes, so I cut them off. Now zebra has no eyes. He couldn't chew/suck on it at first, since the eyes were gone... so for a while, all was fine, until he started chewing on the spot where the eyes were, soaking it and sucking on it!! Zebras face is always soaked and super gross!! He sucks and chews on it right after eating or drinking, so you can only imagine how gross this thing gets. I currently wash it every couple of days, but what I really want is for him to quit sucking and chewing on it altogether! He is also a thumb sucker. I tell him "no mouth! Zebra doesn't go in your mouth!" And he'll drop Zebra and stick his thumb right in its place. He has an overbite now and I don't know if its from always having something in his mouth or what... but I don't know how to get him to stop! I know I can't get him to stop sucking his thumb right now, he's been doing it since he had a thmub (he was always trying to suck his thumb in my ultrasounds), but how do I get him to stop sucking/chewing on his lovey without taking it away?? Everytime I catch him, I tell him to stop and he does and replaces it with his thumb, but not even 5 minutes later, he's doing it again!!! Please help or bump if you don't know...

Oh, he is 20 months and doesn't talk yet.... he says a couple words (mama, ball, dada) but otherwise always has something in his mouth. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MoonMamma3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM

well eventually you will have to take the toy away if verbal commands don't work. As for thumb sucking, my mom had a friend scare the shit out of me by using a demon voice to tell me "stop sucking your thumb" and I had nightmares for a while so DONT DO THAT lol. I think if you gently pull his thumb out and tell him no every time you see it that might work. He may cry but it's for the best. You don't want his teeth ruined.

jaisgirl
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM
My mom put that nasty stuff on my fingernails that's supposed to make you stop bitting them. it worked I couldn't stand the taste. You could use it on the zebra too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Lol at the demon voice!! My son would probably just laugh at me! But, I've tried gentley taking his hand away from his mouth, but he resists and whines until I let his hand go and it literally flies back into his mouth! Its like, if he doesn't have something in or around his mouth, he can't function. I don't wanna take Zebra away, it would break his heart, but I also fear how sick he can get from sucking on his gross lovey. I know I need to ask his pedi... its hurting his developing teeth and holding him back from talking. I never had to worry about this with DD (whose 3), she took a binkie and was done with it by 18 months. Hell, she was speaking sentences and knew all basic pre-K stuff at 18 months... so DS being 20 months and can't do half the things DD did worries me.

Quoting MoonMamma3:

well eventually you will have to take the toy away if verbal commands don't work. As for thumb sucking, my mom had a friend scare the shit out of me by using a demon voice to tell me "stop sucking your thumb" and I had nightmares for a while so DONT DO THAT lol. I think if you gently pull his thumb out and tell him no every time you see it that might work. He may cry but it's for the best. You don't want his teeth ruined.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:29 AM

My boy just stopped sucking on his gee gee.. All on his own with no encouragement from us. He is three and was just done. Give it time...

thickmamaof2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

First I don't know why people continue to set them selves up like this to get bashed! Your not supposed to give any child that still puts things in there mouths toys that have eyes and other body parts that can come off and be choked on. Next my daughter is a thumb sucker as well. The best thing to do is to let them self wean. Trying to make them stop before there ready is just like trying to make them potty trained at 8 months old. It can and will cause problems down the line. Good luck! Oh and I've gotten degrees in childhood devolpment, preperation for parenting, was a teacher for 5 years and have been a mom for 3 years. So I know what I am talking about.

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM
Thumb sucking isn't going to hurt him. I did and my teeth are fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thickmamaof2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Oh and I just wanted to say that I'm not one of the people that will bash for stuff like that but its so frustrating to see women on her tell everyone else something they let their kids do when its something your really not supposed to be doing. Keep it private!

Quoting thickmamaof2:

First I don't know why people continue to set them selves up like this to get bashed! Your not supposed to give any child that still puts things in there mouths toys that have eyes and other body parts that can come off and be choked on. Next my daughter is a thumb sucker as well. The best thing to do is to let them self wean. Trying to make them stop before there ready is just like trying to make them potty trained at 8 months old. It can and will cause problems down the line. Good luck! Oh and I've gotten degrees in childhood devolpment, preperation for parenting, was a teacher for 5 years and have been a mom for 3 years. So I know what I am talking about.

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM
I was very aware of the fact you do not give little babies things that can be chewed and sucked off, which is why I gave himk a lovey with stuffed eyes that were sewn on and when I noticed him sucking and chewing on them, I cut them off. Zebra has NO EYES, he sucks on the face. As far as the thumb sucking, I know he practically still NEEDS to do it at this age, I'm not worried about his thumb... I'm worried about his gross lovey and the fact that he already has an overbite (which could be genetic) and isn't talking (which could also be because of a number of things).

With having a 3 year old in the house, I can't keep him away from all things he shouldn't have... I have had to take away a lot of my DDs toys because DS was chewing or climbing on them. He still puts rocks in his mouth, and chalk... so I shouldn't take him outside or let him color with chalk anymore?? That's just silly, I teach him not to do those things... eventually he will learn.

Again, I was worried about if he can get sick from constantly sucking on a gross lovey (no dangerous removeable parts) and if someone has found a solution to their similar problem. I won't be worried about the thumb sucking until he is 3 or 4.

Quoting thickmamaof2:

Oh and I just wanted to say that I'm not one of the people that will bash for stuff like that but its so frustrating to see women on her tell everyone else something they let their kids do when its something your really not supposed to be doing. Keep it private!

Quoting thickmamaof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thickmamaof2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I am the same way as you when it comes to teaching them what to do and what not to do instead of sheltering them and taking everything away. So I understand. With the lovey I would just "loose" it. He will cry for about a week or so for it. But soon after that he will have forgotten all about it. My son was still sucking a binky a few months after he turned to but I'm big into self weaning up until around age 4 so I told him "Daylen, if you loose this binky mommy doesnt have money to buy you a new one." I was broke at the time so it wasnt a lie. He lost it. Cried for a week. but after that was fine. It's hard on everyone involved. But good luck mama

Quoting tairakittie:

I was very aware of the fact you do not give little babies things that can be chewed and sucked off, which is why I gave himk a lovey with stuffed eyes that were sewn on and when I noticed him sucking and chewing on them, I cut them off. Zebra has NO EYES, he sucks on the face. As far as the thumb sucking, I know he practically still NEEDS to do it at this age, I'm not worried about his thumb... I'm worried about his gross lovey and the fact that he already has an overbite (which could be genetic) and isn't talking (which could also be because of a number of things).

With having a 3 year old in the house, I can't keep him away from all things he shouldn't have... I have had to take away a lot of my DDs toys because DS was chewing or climbing on them. He still puts rocks in his mouth, and chalk... so I shouldn't take him outside or let him color with chalk anymore?? That's just silly, I teach him not to do those things... eventually he will learn.

Again, I was worried about if he can get sick from constantly sucking on a gross lovey (no dangerous removeable parts) and if someone has found a solution to their similar problem. I won't be worried about the thumb sucking until he is 3 or 4.

Quoting thickmamaof2:

Quoting thickmamaof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)