Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for married ladies....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM
  • 36 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you sell your wedding rings to "upgrade" if you were still married?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 80

View Results

Would you ever sell your wedding band and anniversary band if you were still married??????

My friend just posted this on her Facebook, that she is selling her rings, and I sent her a private message asking her why and she said it was for an "upgrade". I know it is none of my business but I don't think I believe her. I know she has been having issues with her husband for a fact because she had mentioned it to me about a month ago, all of her pictures have been deleted except for just maybe one or two of her and her husband when she used to have albums of pictures with her and her husband ect. Now all you see is just her, even a lot of the pictures of her kids are gone, and she doesn't have it showing that she is "Married to __" when it used to be there. But her husband still has his showing that he is married to her. She has her relationship status completely hidden, just the whole way she has been acting isn't very married like, she has been acting like she is single. I stopped hanging out with her because of that, and also because my boyfriend mentioned some things to me that I didn't appreciate, but besides that, this boils down to the question, if you were STILL MARRIED would you sell your wedding rings?

I think my friend is lying because rings are sentimental, and If I was married, I wouldn't buy a new ring, but if I wanted to upgrade, I would just upgrade the original ring. kwim? 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cavalrybaby02
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I answered "yes", but really it's a maybe.

I would absolutely stop wearing my old rings and upgrade to something else, but if I needed to sell my old rings to afford an upgrade, I probably can't really afford the upgrade, kwim?

nemiller
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

My husband and I are separated, but trying to reconcile.  If we get to the point where we are both 100% in this marriage again, I will not be putting my old wedding jewelry back on.  I will not sell my first set, but I won't wear it again either.  I will either get a different set or I will not wear a ring at all.  I think it is incredibly odd that she'd be acting the way she is and then selling her wedding jewelry.  I probably wouldn't think much of it if she were acting normally and that's just the decision they made, OR if she acknowledged that her marriage is over and doesn't want the rings anymore.

Coliemum
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM
My wedding set is a family heirloom, they belonged to Hubby's Grandmother, so there is NO WAY I'd sell them. If we got divorced I'd give them back to him to keep for our son's future wife. (Not that I see us ever divorcing. lol.) If they were rings Hubby had bought for me and we had to sell them to have enough money to buy me a new set then MAYBE but I'd rather save up the money for an upgrade and have both sets. A girl can't have to many rings, ya know! :-D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livin.ontheedge
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I almost sold mine one time because we needed food, but they didn't offer enough. If I hadn't found another way though, I would've let 'em go.

anetrnlov
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Nope.

bzymom247
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM

No

paper_clip

Absolutely NOT!!

My dh picked these rings out with his heart. I will NEVER EVER get rid of them under any circumstance. (unless we divorce) 

They mean the entire world to me!!!!

sweetheart5703

Well when I messaged her and she said it was for an upgrade, I said oh OK I thought maybe you were getting a divorce, and she didn't answer at all to that lol. She wants me to repost her status though to help her sell her rings...

Quoting nemiller:

My husband and I are separated, but trying to reconcile.  If we get to the point where we are both 100% in this marriage again, I will not be putting my old wedding jewelry back on.  I will not sell my first set, but I won't wear it again either.  I will either get a different set or I will not wear a ring at all.  I think it is incredibly odd that she'd be acting the way she is and then selling her wedding jewelry.  I probably wouldn't think much of it if she were acting normally and that's just the decision they made, OR if she acknowledged that her marriage is over and doesn't want the rings anymore.

Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:48 AM

No, no, NO!

A lot of jewelry stores sell rings with the premise they should be upgraded at a later time. I hate that idea. Even if my ring was small or without a stone there is no way I would upgrade it. The sentiment of my rings means a lot more to me than their size.

hfs1998
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I don't understand the whole upgrading thing but that's me.  If I did for some reason want to upgrade, I would still keep my old set for sentimental reasons.  It is not as though rings take up a lot of room!  If she needs to sell the old set to get a better set, I don't think she can really afford it.  Based on what you said about her recent actions and attitudes, I would definitely say that there is trouble in paradise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)