Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prozac

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

Anyone experience weight gain while taking Prozac ?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nishchav
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM

weight gain is very common with pills like that i gained 50lbs since august because of all my meds

Jenniejen77
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Yes, and a general feeling of "zombie-ness". 

MamaSusieQ045
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Sadly some of those meds do cause weight gain...which to me seems like an oxymoron, a lot of people take it for depression but then it causes all that weight gain, which would in turn make a lot (not all) women depressed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Ugghhh that is what I thought.... My doctor is telling me no, Im like WTF... I haven't changed my eating habits at all and still doing the same amount of exercise(none LOL) as always, yet I have gained like 20 pounds in less than a year. She told me to eat smaller portions and blah blah blah.... I think she looked at me and said "She is plenty skinny, no need to worry" What should I do ??
tasukete
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Prozac didn't make me gain weight but it also didn't work for my depression.  Bummers.

Celexa works for my depression and has been weight neutral for me.

nishchav
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Ugghhh that is what I thought.... My doctor is telling me no, Im like WTF... I haven't changed my eating habits at all and still doing the same amount of exercise(none LOL) as always, yet I have gained like 20 pounds in less than a year. She told me to eat smaller portions and blah blah blah.... I think she looked at me and said "She is plenty skinny, no need to worry" What should I do ??

find a dr who will listen to you and your concerns thats what i did and they switched a few of my meds around to help me out. gl i hope you can get them to listen to you :)

lilmisscee1974
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I lost weight...I  was never hungry..

lilmisscee1974
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I take Celexa too..it is amazing!

Quoting tasukete:

Prozac didn't make me gain weight but it also didn't work for my depression.  Bummers.

Celexa works for my depression and has been weight neutral for me.

Fairegirl33
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

They sent me for some blood work... when they call me about that, Im going to express my concerns again.

It has been really rough on me, I don't want to fight with my weight..... I feel like a big cry baby LOL

Quoting nishchav:

Quoting Fairegirl33:

find a dr who will listen to you and your concerns thats what i did and they switched a few of my meds around to help me out. gl i hope you can get them to listen to you :)

okhsmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM

My daughter took it for a few months.  It was weight neutral for her.  I talked with the doc for a long time about this class of med and how it causes weight gain.  It is not known whether it causes a change in the hunger satiety part of the brain or if it changes the body at the metabolic level.  Therefore, your doc cannot say with certainty that eating less will help you lose weight.  It may not be the case if your metabolism becomes altered. 

Are you seeing a board certified psychiatrist or a GP or ob/gyn?  I think you should see a psychiatrist if you're not already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)