Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did she really just INSULT me??!!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

Dh and I have been married a little over 4 months. I have never met his aunt and uncle and they were staying in town with my mil.

Mil calls and asks us to come over to see them. We get there and everything is fine, we have some beverages, and pastries.

Mil said she had to ask Dh when my birthday was bc she couldnt find it on FB. Well I tell her its coming up, and she said she realized that. Well my dh's aunt was standing there when mil asked how old I was turning, she said "how old are you turning?? 28??" I giggle and say.. "No, not 28" Then she says "oh wait, your turning 12?13?!!" I was taken a back and said "no Im turning 25, but I feel older than that" Mil says "oh 24, if I could go back in time... those were the days, no cares in the world"

Ok. So my mil is really big on me getting a job and what not. Dh really doesnt care if I stay home.. I have two kids under the age of 4, and I am a stay at home mother by choice. When dh and I met, I was working at a retail store and taking some night classes. When dh and I got married, and the boys and I moved in, I decided I didnt want to go back to work ( I am going to take cosmetology classes next fall-when my children go to school). Dh makes more than enough for me to stay home. I DO however work part time as a nanny (I dont have a "normal" job)- I make 400 bucks a week working 3 nights from 5p.m.-9p.m. M-W.

Mil thinks I got a free ride from dh (i think), because he is older than I am, And he does pretty darn good for himself. The whole joke about my age, and about being care free, made me feel a bit uneasy. Yes, she did have a few drinks and what not, but it was kind of an insult, mixed with humor.

Dh says not to take anything she says seriously.... But would this kind of rub YOU the wrong way?

Im not mad at all... its just something that caught me off guard! Does she REALLY think that about me???? (fyi- my mil and iget along great!)

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Eh.  As long as your husband doesn't have any issues with you staying at home, who cares what she thinks?

chalisa0
by Kim on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I would have said "no cares in the world?  What are you talking about?  I have 2 kids!)  Anything about you working or not, is strictly between you and hubby.  Feel free to inform mil of that.  Not her business.

A.Mommys.Love
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM

BUMP!

Jess821
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM
sOs mom is the same way. They say their little remarks and about a month ago at a party I was eating some nachos and his grandma says "Jessica you should stop eating already you're pushing on what, 300 pounds?"
First of all, no I'm not!
When she said that her daughter,26, starts laughing (they're all way overweight so I don't see where they have any room to talk about ANYONES weight.
I told her "yes, I am pushing on those 300 pounds, y'all are obviously getting what I'm pushing away"

Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I would tell you - who knows if its a dig or not - but if this is the man you chose to marry and spend ur life with - I would ELECT to take it as a carefree statement.

I was with my DH and had a 3 year old when I was 24 - I still think those were the carefree days - and not in an insulting way.

When you are 24 - regardless of your financial or social status - you dont have the same opressing looming of age on your shoulders - and she can simply be meaning that.

As for the disagreements with you working and what not - as long as it doesn't bother u or your husband - nothing else should matter.

kristy0833
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Eh.  As long as your husband doesn't have any issues with you staying at home, who cares what she thinks?

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM

btw bringing in 1600 dollars a month in income from your "not job" is pretty damned good. LOL

I would probably buy her an expensive gift and tell her you had some extra from your not job and thought of her LOL

A.Mommys.Love
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM

lololol!! Thats a GREAT idea!!

Quoting FooLynRoo:

btw bringing in 1600 dollars a month in income from your "not job" is pretty damned good. LOL

I would probably buy her an expensive gift and tell her you had some extra from your not job and thought of her LOL

JBDslittlemam08
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Uh oh.......looks like they think that you're a gold digger...............

watch your back with these ladies, love. They may get worse.

CrazyBeauty17
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM
I wouldn't care..I'm a sarcastic bitch I would've said something back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)