Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sibling rivalry

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM
  • 3 Replies

Bringing home my son was like a dream come true. For me and my BF anyways...

My daughter on the other hand has already told me that she doesnt like him. Crys when i am feeding him. and doesnt want to snuggle with anyone if he is around.

She does like being the big kid and helping with small tasks..

I just want to know if anyone can help shed some light and help me with ideas that might help her to warm up to the little man.

I hate thinking that she feels replaced, she is my baby too and i tell her all the time.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
stinkerbelle28
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM
She will outgrow it, I promise. DS was two when we brought DD home. My dad took him to look at his baby sister in the hospital and my dad said "Look Nate, it's your baby sister! Your a big brother!" he said "No I not, Im a baby and that's not my baby it's Mommys baby!" They get along just fine now, other than fighting like normal siblings. Try to play up the fact that she is a BIG sister and a big girl and has to help take care of her BABY brother. Congrats!
MicheleJM
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Ask her why she doesn't like him.  Then you can discuss her feelings: yeah babies cry a lot but as they get older they'll cry less, that sort of thing. Say yeah I know it's a drag for you that I have to feed your brother.  One day he'll be able to feed himself.  After I'm finished you and I will go do something. Be sympathetic.  If you can, try spending some time with her that is just for her, because she is a "big girl" and the baby can't do big girl activities.  If you are bottle feeding see if she will help feed the baby but don't push her to do it.  Let her help out.  And get used to it; no matter how close siblings are I don't think the rivalry ever really goes away completely.  It will get better though.

twiztedcandy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)