Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying a house question

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

It seems like a stupid question since we have had two houses.  We are moving in Aug and want to put in an offer on a house since we didn't like any others and this one seems to be okay for us.  Is asking for a 4 month closing date too long?  Should we wait for another 2 months and hope that this house is still on the market?  We can't close earlier than Aug because we have to rent out our house and they aren't moving into the area until Sept.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bearsbabies
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM
There is no harm in asking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM

The issue would be that many mortgage companies won't give you an approval for 4 months.

If you are paying cash that isn't an issue.

Imagine a world which embraces diversity

MammaRed
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

There's two things that can make/break a deal:

1.) Price being offered in comparison to the asking price

2.) Terms, conditions and stipulations

You could go in higher than you would have and hope they accept your conditions....there's certainly no harm in asking and the worst they're going to say is no.  In that case, you move on.

josiphene
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM
everything is negotiatble in Real Estate lol I would put the offer in now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

It's worth asking.

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM

 I guess it depends on the market, here the market is good enough where we could put in an offer and let the buyer know we can't close until July (you won't have to make a payment till August) and chances are we may get rejected but will most likely get a call back.   Think about it, if you make the offer you still have to wait for acceptance, go through an inspection, finalize a loan and then set up a closing, this usually takes about a month anyway and it's nearly April so you're only looking at 3 months.  The seller may need the time to find housing themselves, I say go for it just be sure to let them know your situation.

kymomma1974
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM
I would ask. I don't think 160days is too long given the circumstances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)