Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who has pet lizards?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son and daughter want a chameleon. They are driving me nuts about it. DS saw Rango and that's why he wants it, DD likes the little lizard in Tangled, so that's why she wants one. I have no idea where to even get one, what they eat etc. I had an anole once, it lived a long time and then died. It ate crickets, which was gross, but I can handle it. I am seriously considering getting DS one for his birthday in September, can anyone give me any info?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stinkerbelle28
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

BUMP!

Sandy418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

how old are your kids

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

we had an iguana. i dont know what chameleons eat. Maybe google it? sorry not much help but here is a bump!

KandiceN
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I've had lizard and geckos, many of them in fact and I ever got a chameleon even though I would have LOVED one because they're expensive and hard to care for, Properly.  You can do it cheap, but I never did the 'bare minimum' for pets.

They don't like being handled.  They need a large living environment, special lighting, specific temp and humidity levels.  If you and your kids can handle this I'd go for it.  If not, please pass it up for now.

Also, a well cared for one can live up to 10 years.

stinkerbelle28
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Quoting Sandy418:

how old are your kids

My son will be 6 on his birthday.

stinkerbelle28
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Quoting KandiceN:

I've had lizard and geckos, many of them in fact and I ever got a chameleon even though I would have LOVED one because they're expensive and hard to care for, Properly.  You can do it cheap, but I never did the 'bare minimum' for pets.

They don't like being handled.  They need a large living environment, special lighting, specific temp and humidity levels.  If you and your kids can handle this I'd go for it.  If not, please pass it up for now.

Also, a well cared for one can live up to 10 years.

We have a 150 gallon tank that we had salt water fish in. We downgraded that by giving some of our fish to friends and now we have a 50 gallon tank. I am not really good with the tank and my husband is going out on the road as a truck driver so the smaller tank is easier for me to deal with. Anyway, I was thinking of using this tank and stand. I would just have to get the lights, and the things to go inside it. I thought abiut geckos, we even looked at them bc they have them at petco.

Ktez2002
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

We have an anole, I just hate having to make a trip to Petco 2-3 times every week to pick up crickets. I also give it worms between cricket feedings. My DH got it for my 3 yr old DS and Im the one who takes care of it. ...of course...

KandiceN
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I'd recommend leopard geckos.  They are awesome pets, and they are handle-able, and much easier to care for.  I had them for years and I would easily trust my 5/6yr old (if they were responsible) with one.  And they're more sturdy than a chameleon lol

stinkerbelle28
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Quoting KandiceN:

I'd recommend leopard geckos.  They are awesome pets, and they are handle-able, and much easier to care for.  I had them for years and I would easily trust my 5/6yr old (if they were responsible) with one.  And they're more sturdy than a chameleon lol

That's good to know! My DS is very responsible. He loves animals too, seems like every month or so he will come up with some other kind of animal he wants, lol. I think a leopard gecko would be an awesome gift and he would just be over the moon!

KandiceN
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

They are amazing fun little critters.  You do have to be careful with their tails as they will drop them if they feel they're being attacked, but I never had one do that.

If you get leopards feel free to PM me, I cared for them for years! 

Also I highly recommend using pet carpet and not sand (they're not sand animals) so that makes them even easier to care for.  My one leopard would only poop in one corner of the cage, so I would put layers of papertowels down in that corner and just change them when needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)