Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

someone told my son to shut his mouth!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM
  • 18 Replies

Okay a friend of mine put her three year old son in pre-school. he has only been going there for a few months. Well one day he was home with the mother and she heard him playing and he said "this is miss tammy's class. shut your mouth." he said this with an attitude. They do not speak like to their son. and the first thing she thought of was he heard someone say this to him at pre-k.  another thing that has happened. the father picks him up at 3 right after nap time.  well one day as they were walking to the car their son says he wet himself. they didnt know if he was actually wet long enough for a teacher to notice so they didnt worry about it. but then last week the mother gets a call telling her to pick him up or bring him some clothes bc he wet himself. when she gets there they explained that someone saw him doing the pee pee dance then he wet himself. OKay.... if you were a teacher and you saw a child doing that would you take them to the restroom? i mean its common sense. he doesnt have a problem going to the bathroom at home but he is really shy so that could be why he didnt go say something before hand. but the mother thinks at bathroom break time they should make him go into the stall to go. what do you think?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM

bump!

Rena1999
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM

As far as the bathroom situation, yes I agree with your friend, he should be made to at least try during those times.  She should talk to him about not being afraid to tell a teacher if he needs to go...and maybe address the teacher as well, to see if she could ask him during the day.  As far as the shut your mouth comment, I would address it with the teacher. Maybe she could get some answers from her child, like who did you hear say that.  I wouldnt give a ton of weight to his answer at that age, but it would be a start.

kristy0833
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Id call the teacher
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KME445
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

My 2yo is in preschool and she started coming home talking in a "mean" voice sometimes and also "popping" us and herself on the hands when she was frustrated or misbehaved.  We know she doesn't get that from home and I am 1000% confident that her lead teacher does not do these things. We had a parent meeting with her just in case.  We think it might be coming from some of the other parents, but really, we just don't know.  

About the potty thing...I see my 2yo doing the potty dance and even when I am right there and hustle her to the potty, sometimes we miss. I disagree with your friend.  I wouldn't want preschool to force the issue with my child.  BTW- our preschool requires a change of clothes at all times.  She should probably leave some clothes there because accidents, dirt, etc. will happen.

NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

i know she said something to the teacher about the potty issue. im not exactly sure what she said. but she is just thinking of putting him in a different school.

okhsmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Preschool around here is for kids who are potty trained.  Teachers aren't child care providers and do not teach potty training in any form.  If the child can't go on command, at scheduled breaks, does he really have bladder control? 

Makenseysmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM
At the daycare center I work at there is only one potty per room. If the wait to long to go and some one else is in there they may have an accident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM

he is potty trained. but since he is so shy i guess he doesnt want to tell the teachers he is not used to. like i said in my post he has no problem at home. plus they know the kids are going to have accidents and it is there job to work with the children to prepare them for the next class. if that means making sure he goes to the bathroom at break time then thats what they need to do.

Quoting okhsmom:

Preschool around here is for kids who are potty trained.  Teachers aren't child care providers and do not teach potty training in any form.  If the child can't go on command, at scheduled breaks, does he really have bladder control? 

okhsmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Quoting NevaehAndAjsMom:

he is potty trained. but since he is so shy i guess he doesnt want to tell the teachers he is not used to. like i said in my post he has no problem at home. plus they know the kids are going to have accidents and it is there job to work with the children to prepare them for the next class. if that means making sure he goes to the bathroom at break time then thats what they need to do.

Quoting okhsmom:

I hear you, but just disagree.  I don't think its for a preschool teacher to potty train when away from home.  If they have a helper, maybe, but the teacher? Forcing kids to sit on a potty?  This just wasn't the practive for any of my four kids.  Two went to a private church preschool, another a developmental preschool, one to a public program for kids with special needs.  For the older three, they had to be PTd completely.  For my youngest, she went in a diaper that was changed by an aide and we sent spare clothes.  PTing was not apart of preschool.  Bathroom breaks were, but not PTing. 

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I'd talk to the preschool and find out whats going on. If someone sees him doing the potty dance its their job to make sure he gets to the bathroom. At Least that how it is where my gfs son went and my nephew go. They help with potty training. Actually 2 of my nephews potty trained at preschool. My SIL started potty training two of my nephews but they refused to potty train at home. Once their preschool started with them during the day it followed them home and they started getting the hang of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)