Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can WIC make you give your child vaccines?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM
  • 107 Replies
I have a friend who just posted on her FB that in order to continue getting WIC she has to give her daughter vaccines they don't feel comfortable with. She said if she doesn't then WIC won't allow her anymore vouchers. I feel bad for her. Every parent should be able to decide which vaccines to give their child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jynnifer292
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I am not sure but it wouldn't surprise me. Apparently, not everyone is free huh?

paigesmommy5264
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

actually, I think that is true-- they used to hound me with different vaccines, and getting blood tests for like iron and stuff like that-- I eventually just stopped getting it.. too much of a hassle.

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

They do get to decide. If they dont agree with the vaccines then dont use WIC. I dont know if thats a rule there or not.

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I don't know. I do think if she wants to participate in a program, she should follow it's rules.  When she is supporting her child herself, she can decide what is good for them. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I think you can get an excemption, not sure. When I was on WIC they only asked for the sheets a few times.

mommyof2kids401

I don't know how the WIC works in your state but here in Nebraska they don't force you to give your kids vaccines that you are not comfortable with. We didn't give my son a few vaccines that we weren't comfortable with. And he is 3 years old and still receives WIC. They shouldn't be able to tell her that she has to vaccine there child. That is there personal decision a lot of parents don't vaccinate for one religious reasons or personal reasons. I think shes needs to call and talk to somebody in charge not just who she sees when she gets her checks.

romanceparty4u

no they cannot. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

momof2kiddos79
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I didnt have to show proof of vaccines. Nor did they ask me if my child was up to date on shots.

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

i know they need a list from the pedi about what the child has gotten, so i wouldn't be surprised if they had to be vacc'd.

art.diva
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM
If that's what they require, then she can opt out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)