Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone have a budget??

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

How do you do it? Do you write things down? Have a certain amount you can spend on extras? I need help i have no idea where our money goes lol we just spend without thinking a 2nd thought. We should have way more in savings than we do with the amount my husband makes. When i calculate after bills we should have a few thousand let over ever month but we have nowhere near that. I guess we just spend to much we need to make ourselves conscious of what we are buying. Is the any programs where you can put amounts in or something? any help would be great thanks.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSue87
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM

you should look up dave ramsey classes in your area! he is AMAZING at teaching how to be better with your money! :)

ShawnaH2005
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Start by writing down all of your spending for a whole month. EVERY single purchase no matter how small. You will be amazed at where you money goes. We did that and I was surprised at the results. After you know where you money is going you will be able to see where you can cut back.

LilGina
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I have heard oher ppl talk about him I will have to look him up

Quoting SarahSue87:

you should look up dave ramsey classes in your area! he is AMAZING at teaching how to be better with your money! :)

3xangel
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Yep

Quoting ShawnaH2005:

Start by writing down all of your spending for a whole month. EVERY single purchase no matter how small. You will be amazed at where you money goes. We did that and I was surprised at the results. After you know where you money is going you will be able to see where you can cut back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilGina
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I will ahve to get my hubby on board with this lol

Quoting 3xangel:

Yep

Quoting ShawnaH2005:

.kk.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Start by writing down all of your bills, the due dates and how much it is. If it's something that varies month to month, you take an average and budget that much.

I make tons of excel spreadsheets. They also have templates online if you google budget template. Good lucK! :)

Elayna90
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM
I use envelopes. I have bills, diapers, gas, food, and extra.
Bills- all household bills and money owed
Diapers- I put in the amount we will need for the pay period, plus enough to cover an extra small pack just in case.
Gas- Obviously for gas with enough for an extra full tank above what we normally use.
Food- I use this for food and household stuff.
Extra- However much we budget out for going out to dinner, kids clothes, a coffee at the gas station, etc.
Anything else and anything left over at the end of the pay period goes in a blank envelope and saved.
I usually put an extra $20 in my purse in case I need anything. When I go out, I take out what I'll need from each envelope and no more that way I don't overspend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Get Dave Ramsey's book!

jessil83
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

we sit down a few days before each payday. we figure out which bills need to be paid with that check, what the grocery bill will be roughly for that check, gas, ciggs, and any other expense that is coming with that check. after that we figure out what can be saved and what can be spent. than the spend and gas money is pulled out in cash. we split it between the two of us. the debit cards are only used for groceries, bills and any other house expenses. when you run out of cash you are out of spending and gas money for your car. so you have to make sure to save enough for a second tank of gas as well. b/c we both go through about a tank a week.

iluvmypreemies
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Here is the screen shot from the web page of kinda what it looks like and what it keeps track of. Of course you can always customize it. I changed a few categories or used the "other" categories and gave them names.

I do not use Excel I use Microsoft Spreadsheet and it works just fine.

There are actually more categories than the screen shot shows. a MISC one and some others. It works very well! You can change all the ones that don't apply to you.

On mine I also have catagories for things like Stockpiling, School Lunches, etc. Make it fit your life!

It does total everything up for you. It will show you if you are over in a certain field once you plug in the actual totals you spent for the month so that you can plan better for the next month!

Download Free Monthly Houshold Budget Sheet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)