Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My breast fed child can whoop your formula babies @ss... in school

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM
  • 220 Replies

Breastfed children have advantage in school studies suggest

March 28th, 2011 by Pamela Wallace | Permalink
Breast fed babies

Study shows benefits to breast feeding can include better test scores in school

Breastfeeding advocates have long touted the benefits of breast feeding your child, and now they can add another to that long list of benefits.  According to research which has been published in a working paper, ‘The Effect of Breastfeeding on Children’s Cognitive Development’, and has yet to be peer reviewed, breast fed babies grow up doing better in school than their formula fed school mates.

Health and Medicine Daily News is reporting that the study followed roughly 12 thousand breast fed infants who were born in the 1990s.  These infants were matched with one or two babies who were similar in all respects except for these children were not breast fed. Test scores were observed throughout their lives in math, reading and writing.  The study observed that the children were tested in these academic areas at the ages of five, seven, 11 and 14.  The comparasions showed that the breastfed group was statistically higher in their test scores.

Babies were matched on a  range of characteristics, including: their sex, gestational age, birth weight, their mother’s age and marital status, parents’ job status and education, and their home environment. Researchers also used the parents’ attitudes to breastfeeding as measured before birth.

Co-author Dr Almudena Sevilla-Sanz, from the Department of Economics and the Centre for Time Use Research at Oxford University, said: ‘Comparing the test scores of groups of children matched in this way, we are effectively estimating the causal effect of breastfeeding. We find that breastfeeding does have a causal effect on children’s cognitive outcomes. The difference is statistically significant across English, maths and science scores, and persists into secondary school. Indeed, there is some evidence that the effect tends to grow over time.”

One issue that the study was not clear on was, since breast fed infants are likely to come from mothers who have a higher IQ and are from a higher social class,  would these children have gone on to do well in school anyway?

... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and
thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an
interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it?
In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me
in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky
and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and
smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.
Douglas Adams

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoneBad31
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Or it could be genes...LOL. I know this is just a generalization post, but I guess i will be the first one to point out that it is not true in all cases.

I was never breastfed, neither was my oldest son. We both tested off the charts. He has not graduated HS yet, but I graduated in the top 3 percentile in the nation.

AllieMad
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

As a breastfeeding mother and advocate, I HATE studies like this.  The "higher IQ" and other debates (including BF babies being healthier) was not meant to compare a formula feeding baby to a breastfed baby.

When a baby was breastfed, that child's IQ (and health) is better than if HE HIMSELF had been formula fed.

Things like this study does nothing other than ruffle the feathers of formula feeding mothers and make breastfeeders look stuck up.  I hate it.

acaisha
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

thats why if you read it they compaired children in similar classes.. "Babies were matched on a  range of characteristics, including: their sex, gestational age, birth weight, their mother’s age and marital status, parents’ job status and education, and their home environment. Researchers also used the parents’ attitudes to breastfeeding as measured before birth."

that would tend to rule out things like genetics.. unless the urge to breastfeed is genetic.,

Quoting GoneBad31:

Or it could be genes...LOL. I know this is just a generalization post, but I guess i will be the first one to point out that it is not true in all cases.

I was never breastfed, neither was my oldest son. We both tested off the charts. He has not graduated HS yet, but I graduated in the top 3 percentile in the nation.

... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and
thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an
interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it?
In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me
in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky
and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and
smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.
Douglas Adams

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM

lol, probably.

One issue that the study was not clear on was, since breast fed infants are likely to come from mothers who have a higher IQ and are from a higher social class,  would these children have gone on to do well in school anyway?

paganbaby
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Bump ;-)

I think Ive had enough bashing for today,lol.

LoveMyLos
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

bullshit. theres no way of knowing if it was the boob milk, or if they just happened to be smarter. stupid.

my son was ff, and hes doing great in school. my cousin breastfed her kids and her son eats paste, and runs into walls. hmmmm......

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Quoting GoneBad31:

The article doesn't say it is true in all cases, does it?

GonnaBMom
by Miss.Fortune on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Exactly i feel the same way.. and i both breastfed and formula fed my DS ...

Quoting AllieMad:

As a breastfeeding mother and advocate, I HATE studies like this.  The "higher IQ" and other debates (including BF babies being healthier) was not meant to compare a formula feeding baby to a breastfed baby.

When a baby was breastfed, that child's IQ (and health) is better than if HE HIMSELF had been formula fed.

Things like this study does nothing other than ruffle the feathers of formula feeding mothers and make breastfeeders look stuck up.  I hate it.

Aamy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM
My DD is ahead academically of the kids in her class......and she was pretty much a FF baby. It also has to do with genetic make up to, my DH has tested on genius level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Am all for breastfeeding, but the only thing I don't agree with is the iq. My dd was bf for 4 mts then formula. My ds was bf for 12 mts. My dd is super smart, ds umm well he isn't to bright lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)