Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Full day or half day Pre-K

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM
  • 25 Replies

DS is going to be starting pre-k in the fall.  We have the option to do either full or half day pre-k.  Either way he'll still have to go to day care afterwards two days a week.  There are pro's and con's to both and I just can't decide.  Did your LO's go full or half day?  Which would/did you prefer?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MzSeXyC
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM

my son does a half day of pre-k, the other half is headstart.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I wish I had the option, for I would totally go for full day. Too many districts out here still only offer half days, and I think it is a shame.

I now see you are talking PRE K not just K. ooops. :) Honestly, for you I'd still choose full day, since he has to do after school care anway.

Atessa
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Half day pre-k....the structure can be to much for a young child all day long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Atessa
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM
You understand why don't you? Pre-k isn't a free for all daycare. Its a structured program, where a child is expected to follow the schedule and routine of the day, and is expected to be quiet during learning times, only eat during snack time...most preK aged children can only handle 4hrs of this before needing to let loose and play freely.

Quoting KairisMama:

I wish I had the option, for I would totally go for full day. Too many districts out here still only offer half days, and I think it is a shame.

I now see you are talking PRE K not just K. ooops. :) Honestly, for you I'd still choose full day, since he has to do after school care anway.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chandra034

After school he would be going to a home day care, she homeschools her four kids so there is still quite a bit of structure there.  It's actually very similar to what he would be doing if he stayed at school, lunch, nap, recess, snacks then centers.

MelissaF30
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM

My kids always went full days but here it wasn't an option. Pre-K was optional but the hours were not.

Edit I just registered my youngest for Pre-k. He will start in August and the class is from 8:30 - 3:30 everyday.

anna_mccall
Mine are going half day. I wish they offered a full day pre K here. But they do in Kindergarten.
Chandra034
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I wish we had a good headstart program here, ours sucks.  =(

Quoting MzSeXyC:

my son does a half day of pre-k, the other half is headstart.

Atessa
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM
But he has the choice to snuggle on the couch and just veg if he needs to or run and play many games outside that aren't allowed at school because of lawsuits. There is a loosened feeling of pressure at daycare, compared to PreK or atleast there should be.

Quoting Chandra034:

After school he would be going to a home day care, she homeschools her four kids so there is still quite a bit of structure there.  It's actually very similar to what he would be doing if he stayed at school, lunch, nap, recess, snacks then centers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IMAMOMx4
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM

why not just ask the daycare provider to do pre k stuff with him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)