Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Screening process for 4K

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son is going doing a "test" in may to see if he can be in the 4K program at his elementary school this fall...they only pick 20 kids because there is only one teacher...have any of yall been through this test with your kids and do you know what kinds of things they ask them?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

i dont know. my son is in prek but that is due to his speech delay

rileysmommy229
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

she said it was for children who need a 'head start" before kindergarten...im really hoping it gets in! if nto i will have to pay for his preschool which is $200 a month

Quoting silverdawn99:

i dont know. my son is in prek but that is due to his speech delay

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

From what I understand, public schools will give priority to students with educational needs, for entrance into their Pre K programs.

Sandy418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM

WEll I dont know what 4k program is, but my son was tested for preschool at the age of 4 and they only accepted special needs free at that time. They tested him to see if he knew all of his colors, alphabet, if he could recognize shapes like square. rectangle, etc.

heathercook78
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM
They may test so they can get the more "at risk" kids in the community, since there is a limit on the number that can be enrolled...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rileysmommy229
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM

well i know why they test...he does know his colors and shapes and such...but he isn't special needs, they said nothing about him needing to have special needs.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

If they do not feel your son needs additional academic help prior to entering K, they will most likely not enroll him.

Quoting rileysmommy229:

well i know why they test...he does know his colors and shapes and such...but he isn't special needs, they said nothing about him needing to have special needs.

rileysmommy229
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Yes, that is what the lady told me, i just wondered what kinds of things they ask...he doesn't really know his abc's...he knwos half of them and then stops...i just dont know what a 4 year old "should know"

Quoting KairisMama:

If they do not feel your son needs additional academic help prior to entering K, they will most likely not enroll him.

Quoting rileysmommy229:

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

A lot of public schools will go by this general criteria to determine if a student is eligible. A family's financial situation can play a big role in whether or not a child gets in too.

Your child is not currently enrolled in a preschool program 
Your child turns 4 years by Aug. 31, 2011 
Your child has health concerns or special needs 
Your family qualifies for financial assistance 
English is your child's second language

Quoting rileysmommy229:

Yes, that is what the lady told me, i just wondered what kinds of things they ask...he doesn't really know his abc's...he knwos half of them and then stops...i just dont know what a 4 year old "should know"

Quoting KairisMama:

Quoting rileysmommy229:

rileysmommy229
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM

We dont qualify for assistance, actually we only meet the age requirement & he is not currently in preschool

Quoting KairisMama:

A lot of public schools will go by this general criteria to determine if a student is eligible. A family's financial situation can play a big role in whether or not a child gets in too.

Your child is not currently enrolled in a preschool program 
Your child turns 4 years by Aug. 31, 2011 
Your child has health concerns or special needs 
Your family qualifies for financial assistance 
English is your child's second language

Quoting rileysmommy229:

Quoting KairisMama:

Quoting rileysmommy229:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)